Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about compensators

G17

I figure before i go and do a little bit of wallet lightening, i'll ask everyone's opinion. I have a glock 17 set up for open. KKM / Jager 4 chamber comp. Obviously before i got into reloading i was shooting factory ammo. With an 11lb spring the gun runs flawlessly w/ factory.

Since i'v gotten into reloading i'v been experimenting with 9major loads and i can actually put the compensator to work a little now. I was just wondering if it would benefit me to go with a bigger comp like the SJC 11 port. I figure it's making all of this gas, let's take advantage of it.

Wasn't sure if there were any trade off's involved. I just do not know much about comp designs so i was hoping some of you guys could learn me a thing or two.

Honestly, i bought my barrel/comp used, and the comp is leaded up pretty bad, and has almost no finish on it anymore. I'm sort of looking at getting a new comp in the near future anyway and i was just thinking about the different options. Is bigger better when it comes to comps or is that not the case? Has anyone shot both a 4 port comp and the 11 port comp and is there any noticeable difference given the same load?

Thank you my fellow BE patrons. Have a wonderful day.

Sjc makes good comps, the problem with the 11 port however is after baseline tests had bee run on it it was found that the last several ports were useless, no gas had been bled off by the extra ports, most open shooters run the bobby carver 4 port which he specifically redesigned for major shooting glock. I run it and swear by it. Great product and bobby always gets it right.