Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The List

Sounds good, I figured as much as needing it all, but good to know about the case gauge! I know a chronograph is needed for proper data, so I'll be speaking with the range master to see what we can come up with. They are pretty easy going people and they have a basement area that they use for competitions so that may be an area the allow me to use to test my reloads with the chronograph.

Thanks again!!

You were saying that you plan on loading and shooting 500 rounds a week, that comes to 26,000 rounds per year. At that amount 4000 primers is a bit of an odd number. Yes primers come in boxes of 1000 but they also come in cases of 5000 (5 boxes of 1000), it makes more sense to buy at least half a years supply if not a full years supply at once (it saves a lot on hazmat). Whenever I order primers it is always 4 cases minimum. That is why I have between 50 and 60 thousand in the basement right now. And when you decide for sure what powder you will be using is get at least 2 if not 3 8#'s of it at once.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

You were saying that you plan on loading and shooting 500 rounds a week, that comes to 26,000 rounds per year. At that amount 4000 primers is a bit of an odd number. Yes primers come in boxes of 1000 but they also come in cases of 5000 (5 boxes of 1000), it makes more sense to buy at least half a years supply if not a full years supply at once (it saves a lot on hazmat). Whenever I order primers it is always 4 cases minimum. That is why I have between 50 and 60 thousand in the basement right now. And when you decide for sure what powder you will be using is get at least 2 if not 3 8#'s of it at once.

Brian

see this i dont understand , this is a serious chunk of change, and he is worried about going over budget on a press.?

I would rather my money go towards the bulk components as they can be difficult to find at times. I'm not worried about pet hour output of a machine. I AM worried about being able to find the necessary components to be able to reload. I want to buy in bulk to obviously maximize my "per round" cost (hazmat fees, shipping fees). The amount I will spend on components has nothing to do with machine selection. I want more round making supplies than faster round making equipment. I'm odd it's okay.

I don't have experience with either the SQD or the 550 as I started on a 650 and I love love love it. Having the capability to put out a lot of rounds in a short amount of time is nice but I go slow on purpose. The handle time is is minimal compared to the the other tasks of reloading even when going slow on a 650. I probably could have gone with the square deal and loved it just the same so I think your choice is a good one. Have fun.

Oh, and get the case gauge. It's inexpensive and it will last more than your lifetime.

Thanks all! Just waiting on the tax man to hurry up! That and for the powder factories to get some powder brewing! I really appreciate everything everyone has said and suggested! I truly look forward in starting my reloading adventures with everyone here!

I would rather my money go towards the bulk components as they can be difficult to find at times. I'm not worried about pet hour output of a machine. I AM worried about being able to find the necessary components to be able to reload. I want to buy in bulk to obviously maximize my "per round" cost (hazmat fees, shipping fees). The amount I will spend on components has nothing to do with machine selection. I want more round making supplies than faster round making equipment. I'm odd it's okay.

With this statement than only buying 4K primers does not make any sense.

Yes primers come in boxes of 1000 but they also come in cases of 5000 (5 boxes of 1000), it makes more sense to buy at least half a years supply if not a full years supply at once (it saves a lot on hazmat). Whenever I order primers it is always 4 cases minimum. And when you decide for sure what powder you will be using is get at least 2 if not 3 8#'s of it at once.

Brian

I don't know if you can swing this type primer buy but I would spend the $$ on the as much powder the you can. Realize on 1 hazmat charge you can only ship 80# per fee. Thats primer and powder together if you choose. With only loading 9mm you have it easy in your buying qty.