Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Rule Interpretations

Paul B

Paul,

The Green Rule Book is now the offical rule book for USPSA. It became effective at the start of December.

Burn your Red Book. It is obsolete

Flex, thanks, but I know which rule book is in effect, what I don't know is if the IPSC rules committee interpretation of the rules has been accepted by USPSA or if it is automatic. I know the whole green rule book was not automatic.

... what I don't know is if the IPSC rules committee interpretation of the rules has been accepted by USPSA or if it is automatic.

In view of the fact that no IPSC rule interpretations are approved without a unanimous consensus, and given that two very senior USPSA officials are part of the IPSC Rules Committee, I certainly hope and expect that approval is automatic, otherwise the IPSC President is going to have a lot of explaining to do at the General Assembly.

Obviously the GA would not be thrilled at the thought that our USPSA colleagues are part of, and directly influence, the international rules process, if they don't also adopt the very same rules and/or interpretations domestically too.

Of course interpretations of rules unique to the USPSA would be a matter for John Amidon and/or the USPSA BOD to handle.

Paul, sorry for the confusion. I was wondering how you could have missed the new rule book. lol

I think the rule that we need to be looking at is US 11.8.3

But, I don't know if that answers the question. (IPSC 11.8.3 would seem to say that we adopt the IPSC updates, but...since we have a US version of 11.8.3, that means the IPSC version of the rule does not exist for us.)

Flex,

By the same token, Rule 11.8.1 survives unchanged in the USPSA Rulebook, which is why I believe that the US version of Rule 11.8.3 limits USPSA BOD interpretations to rules which are unique to the USPSA, and that would make a lot of sense.

Obviously we don't want two different bodies interpreting the same rule and, as I said earlier, there are two USPSA representatives on the IPSC Rules Committee, and we only publish rule interpretations when the consensus is unanimous.

Right, I see what you are saying. It it would be nice and easy if that were the case.

I don't know that it is...from reading 11.8

11.8.1 defines who is responsible

11.8.2 defines the means to ask for clarification

11.8.3 establishes that the clarifications/interpretations that are posted on the organization's web site are offical, and when they go into effect.

Reading US 11.8.3, it appears that the USPSA website is the place to go for interpretations of the USPSA rule book.

I think this one has slipped thru the cracks a bit. We likely should have a US version of all the sections of 11.8

My read of it is this...even though the IPSC and USPSA rule books are close, they are different. And, USPSA will publish their interpretations on uspsa.org

And, if you think about it, that makes sense. We should only have one place to go to look for official clarifications to the USPSA rule book.

Reading US 11.8.3, it appears that the USPSA website is the place to go for interpretations of the USPSA rule book.

I'd say it's the place to go for interpretations of USPSA rules (i.e. those which are unique to the USPSA) but, for the avoidance of doubt, I'll send a message to Mike Voigt asking him to clarify, and I will report back ASAP (provided Mike's recovered from Bali - I know that I'm still in a holiday mood!!).

I'd say it's the place to go for interpretations of USPSA rules (i.e. those which are unique to the USPSA)

That just isn't how US 11.8.3 reads.

It says "the USPSA version of the rulebook" ...which is the book I have in my hands (I don't have an IPSC rule book at all).

It doesn't say the US rules only...it says the book.

?

It says "the USPSA version of the rulebook" ...which is the book I have in my hands (I don't have an IPSC rule book at all).

Sure, but the "USPSA Version of the rulebook" are only those rules which are unique to the USPSA. How can you say, for argument's sake, that Rule 1.1.1 is a "USPSA Version" when it's word-for-word identical to IPSC wording? Divisions aside, the USPSA Rulebook is less than 5% different to the IPSC Rulebook.

I suspect USPSA Rule 11.8.3 is not worded correctly, just like the wording of Point 2 of USPSA Appendix A1, which Mike has already agreed is incorrect (i.e. you don't have to be a member of the USPSA to shoot a Level II or III match in the USA if you actually live in, say, Hong Kong).

Anyway, let me see what Mike has to say about the subject at hand.

Sure, but the "USPSA Version of the rulebook" are only those rules which are unique to the USPSA.

Well...I don't think that is exactly true.

Sure, the differences are small, as you noted...but, the "book" is the whole thing. Just like it says on the cover.

The USPSA book is similar, but it is NOT the IPSC book.

The only reason I care is that I don't want to have to go look up IPSC rule interpretations every time I head out the door for a match (on top of USPSA interpretations, and the Production gun list).

You guys are going to wear out my printer. :)