Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case neck is bulging

G-tar-man

I've been having trouble figuring out why my case necks are bulging recently. I haven't changed anything besides bullet and powder charges. The dies are setup the same, other than changing the OAL for the bullet seater. Do I have too much lube on the cases possibly? It only bulges when seating the bullet.

post-13635-0-60218400-1389725702_thumb.j

Edited by G-tar-man

My guess, having done the exact same thing. I bet you are using a combination seating/crimp die. When adjusting the OAL you screwed the die in further which increased the crimp at the same time and the seating then collapses the neck. Since there really is no need for crimp at all, back the die off, screw the seating plug in most of the way and then adjust the die back down until achieving the OAL you want.

Edited by HighCountryStalker

• 3 months later...

If the bullet does not have a crimp groove - don't crimp it.

Hell I don't crimp FMJ's with a crimp grove anymore. No need for it.

Pat

I agree with Doc. I have pulled bullets picked up at the range and you would be amazed at what you find pulling reloaded pistol AND rifle bullets. Military bullets are crimped because it's the military.

Rifle bullets need to be crimped only to keep them from moving under recoil. That's why most .224 bullets don't have a cannelure and it is a mystery to me why people want to crimp rifle AND pistol bullets WITHOUT a cannelure.

Edited by RPatton

Pat

I agree with Doc. I have pulled bullets picked up at the range and you would be amazed at what you find pulling reloaded pistol AND rifle bullets. Military bullets are crimped because it's the military.

Rifle bullets need to be crimped only to keep them from moving under recoil. That's why most .224 bullets don't have a cannelure and it is a mystery to me why people want to crimp rifle AND pistol bullets WITHOUT a cannelure.

I've had to crimp pistol especially in my 380. Barrel tolerance is tight and no crimp caused the round not to chamber. Now as far as rifle does no crimp also go for ar platform or just bolt action as far as moving under recoil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 3 weeks later...

Pat

I've had to crimp pistol especially in my 380. Barrel tolerance is tight and no crimp caused the round not to chamber. Now as far as rifle does no crimp also go for ar platform or just bolt action as far as moving under recoil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't crimp AR bullets of any type and have never experienced bullets being pushed back into the case.

I've never had to 'crimp' a 380. Maybe my Sig 230 chamber is larger. I have an RCBS taper crimp die set to put the bullet back to factory demensions.