Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A couple of issues with the Hunter yesterday

Intercooler2

They both might possibly be related. For some reason the slide stop was popping out about 1/8" or so. I would have to push it back in about every three shots. I also had an issue with the trigger not resetting. I would have to push it back forward with my finger. My plan is to tear it down this upcoming weekend to inspect and clean. Anything come to mind?

can you take a pic of said slide stop? The only thing I can think of is if you had a slide stop off a Poly gun on there. Because the poly guns are slightly wider, the spring notch would make the slide stop pop out like 1/16" or so...?

Through trials tonight I found it.

I pulled the Hunter stop

1526973_643908685647167_208406591_n.jpg

Hunter and Limited stops

5595_643908675647168_2109741007_n.jpg

The Hunter stop looks a little weathered but swapping them did nothing. The slide still wouldn't lock back! I tried another K10 magazine and back to normal. At that point I looked inside to see what was going on as I pulled the slide back. What I saw was the pin being pushed out some allowing the stop to not catch. That and just not enough tension on the stop from the follower to engage it! It looks like something caused wear or movement in the follower and a nice ridge on the side.

1505489_643916268979742_1012871110_n.jpg

Does the Hunter stop look too bad? As you can see more engagement on the follower would really help. Does anyone make a 1/8" longer one? This might be a piece for Henning!

With the increased slide speeds of the 10mm it could be slapping the side stop down into the follower when the mag is empty.

Another reason why I run the Sprinco ;)

I would think everything would work fine again with a new follower.

Edited by Nealio

Like was mentioned it looked like my slide stop was bent some. It could have happened when the whole mess started. My info from EAA showed the parts didn't ship until Friday, but I have Chronograph testing to do today. I decided to put a new K10 mag in and work the slide stop.

I put the round end in the vice and gave the slide stop end one whack with a dead-blow plastic hammer. It bent it back just enough to be a couple of thousands from frame contact:

1549316_645745495463486_1777696523_n.jpg

I took a triangular file and deepened the trench some for more positive engagement of the retaining spring that holds the stop in as well:

1525168_645743328797036_446315096_n.jpg

It feels tight, no malfunctions and I'm ready to roll!

I have a theory on what happened here. I think the slide stop moved out a little and caught the follower upon travelling backwards on the outside edge. The day this happened, I shot a bunch of high end stuff! Deepening that groove will allow the spring to sit deeper in the stop metal and not move. In looking at the stop the way it comes from the factory the groove doesn't seem real deep and especially for high impulse stuff. I ran all those big rounds today and it didn't budge.