Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 4.25" or 5" for open gun?

msg73

Thinking of converting my M&P to an open gun. I have both the 4.25" fullsize and 5" pro. Which would be a better length for an open polymer gun? Planning to use the Carver 4-port comp shooting major pf. I use the 5" for USPSA and the 4.25" doesn't get used much, so I was thinking it would be easier to turn the 4.25" into an open gun and keep the 5" as is. However, if it's generally better to use the 5", I'll do so.

Lastly, if I got the barrel/comp for the 5" would I be able to use it in the 4.25" as well? I know that the comp would be extended 3/4" past the end of the slide but that may give me options to use either gun. Not really concerned about the look (although it would look unique). I'm thinking that this would give me the barrel length of the 5" with the lighter weight of the 4.25" slide.

Edited by msg73

I've had everything, go with the 4" unless you're willing to substantially lighten the 5" slide. Even if you are willing to lighten it, the 4" will ultimately perform better when done appropriately.

Thanks for the replies. I should mention that my 5" slide has been lightened and is a little bit lighter than the stock 4.25" slide. I've read many posts from people shooting S_I open guns stating that the 'shorty' versions are more violent and prefer the 5" versions. Would this logic not apply to an open M&P? What makes the 4.25" version better than the 5"?