Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sierra 77gr vs Nosler 77 Gr

moto727

Has anyone done any side by side comparison between Sierra and Nosler 77gr bullets in a .223?

Yes I have several times. Generally I see a .10 to .15 increase in group size. Which is not bad. So with my good load using Sierra bullets I get between .7 and .8 moa and with Noslers with the same load I get between .8 and .9 moa. For three gun Noslers are great because of the cost difference. For precision rifle I put the money down for Sierra bullets.

Nosler

BestgroupinJPsofar_zpsaebbc9a6.jpg

77grainNoslerJP_zps3d91aca1.jpg

Sierra

77grainSierraMatchKing_zps38083285.jpg

[url=http://s59.photobucket.com/user/355sigfan/media/JP%20Three%20gun%20rifle%20log/BestgroupinJPsofar_zpsaebbc9a6.jpg.html]L]

These are two samples I have shot more groups than this but have gotten lax about taking pictures all the time like I used to and instead I just keep a digital notebook of my results.

Edited by Alaskapopo

Have you thought about buying seconds from Grafs or PV? I bought some 77s seconds from Grafs for 18 per 100 and I have had no problem shooting sub MOA with the powder i have available, which is not ideal for the heavies.

Have you thought about buying seconds from Grafs or PV? I bought some 77s seconds from Grafs for 18 per 100 and I have had no problem shooting sub MOA with the powder i have available, which is not ideal for the heavies.

Umm 18 per 100 is the same as 180 per 1000 and you can get Nosler non seconds for that or better from Midway.

pat

Umm 18 per 100 is the same as 180 per 1000 and you can get Nosler non seconds for that or better from Midway.

pat

That is true. After looking around some more, has seconds listed at 74 pee 500 of 77s. With the seconds I loaded, with non ideal powder for heavy bullets, I have yielded excellent groups with a 2.4 MOA dot. Best to date is .4, I did have a 10 shot group at 1.5 with 3 flyers, remove the flyers and she shot 7 in .5.

Velocity is a little on the low side due to the powder but it was all I have on hand. I just mentioned the seconds as an option if a deal is there. I am currently waiting for PV to get 69gr seconds back in stock, 124 for 1k of 69s doesn't seem like a bad deal t me if they shoot decent. Don't need match ammo, just something to ring steel at 400-500 yards.

Nosler cosmetic blems are available here:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/nosler-blemished-2nds.html#sthash.cMTcvHY9.dpbs

I've shot a lot of 69 and 80gr Nosler Custom Competitions in various .223 rifles, and I can not see any difference in grouping, when comparing to Sierras of the same weight. The same is true for me when comparing Nosler and Sierra 168gr .308" bullets.

I was testing out my precision rifles today and I thought it would be a good time to compare these two bullets again. Mostly because I am sitting on 1500 Noslers and only have 200 Sierras left and was considering holding off on buying more Sierra's and just shooting the Noslers in my precision AR The gun these were tested in has an 18 inch Krieger Barrel.

Kriegerprecisionriflebuild_zpsea5ae89c.j

Load 1
77 grain Sierra SMK

Lapua new brass chamfered with tool not trimmed

CCI BR primer

N135 22.3 grains

Bullet seated to 2.258 (varied to 2.261 due to SMK design)

Accuracy for 7 5 shot groups .79

Velocity 2646

Spread 27

Standard Deviation 11

Load 2 Same as above but with Nosler 77 grain bullet

Accuracy for 5 5 shot groups .74

Velocity 2643

Spread 11

Standard Deviation 5

Nosler_zpsb1882448.jpg
Sierraload_zps6912cc8c.jpg

So basically pretty much no difference. Same point of aim as well in this rifle.

UPDATE I made a mistake on the Sierra avg groups. I shot 7 not 8 5 shot groups. the adjusted accuracy is .79 putting the Noslers slightly better today at .74. Sorry for the error.
Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo