Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ar-15 slim forearm

rmj339

I have the MI gen 2 on my 3 gun rifle and love it. I dont think I could ask for much more from a handgaurd.

The MI gen 2 handguard has a diameter of 2.3", I wouldn't consider it to be slim. I'm running a Troy Alpha VTAC 13.5" forend on one of my rifles, and my newest build is getting the 16.7" Noveske NSR. Both come in under 1.75" OD and feel great in the hand. I have large hands and can touch thumb to forefinger around the forend. I don't know that there are any narrower forends out there. Both require a very low-profile gas block. The Troy is on a Colt that I cut the front sight tower off of, and the NSR is getting a low pro YHM gas block when the time comes.

One of our pro-team shooters put the MI gen2 on his rifle, and he thinks it is TOO small. Also, it is not incredibly rigid, so one must be careful if you use irons out on the end (either offset or on top) of the longer versions. If you rest the tube on a barricade and lean into it hard, you can influence POI from sight shift quite a bit. The Noveske long rails are SUPER flimsy. You can deflect the end of the 16.7 almost 1/8 inch. I used one for one match and took it back off. Which made me sad, since we make the NSR nuts for them in our shop. :ph34r: