Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 short Colt.... learning, learning, some "Q's"

mikeAZ

I've been given a few hundred rounds of once fired Starline .38 short Colt brass, (unknown prior loading history, but I was told it was Clays powder,.... primers were pretty flat). I'm a long time re-loader of other calibers...... Bought a used .38 S&W PC V comp.. I have both fast and slow powders on hand.......chronographed some test loads with a 135 grn. x .358 Billy bullet @ 130 power factor. Presently using.38 spcl. Dillon dies. I'm seeing a very, very slight "case enlargement" about 3/16th's up from the bottom of the case which definitely affects the next reload of the Starline brass. That is, with same "moon clip", the resized round doesn't "drop in", BUT will ever so slightly be able to be pushed in, MOST likely won't extract very well???.. This is not a large "bulge", so to speak and shows up when I Dykem the reloaded round and try to load 8 rounds with the proper RK moon clip (the RK moon clips are fine with new Starline brass). (I would expect the pressure has to go somewhere).... I shoot lot's of 9mm and use the Lee "U" die as the 1st. die religiously....So, where am I at???..... Bad brass/tight cyl.?... The pistol is as new but I have not checked the cylinder bore itself (what is the factory spec./normal cyl. dimension?. 358?) are the PC built S&W's noted for "tight" cylinders?.

What makes this perplexing?... I've cut 38 special Starline range brass to .900 and don't see the same problem, but with the longer case I'd suppose the pressure is not as concentrated, pointing to an over pressure problem with the short Colt load, BUT the short Colt is way easier to reload for my old hands...Time to order a .38 Lee "U" die???...I'm presently leaning towards Win. Auto Comp powder for a little help with the comped pistol.. I don't feel this is an unsafe problem yet, I needed to be better informed. Thanks, and I know some of you use the Lee "U" die.......

I use a RCBS single stage, I resize and deprime with a .38 spcl die, and flair, seat, and taper crimp with the 9mm die. It's sounds to me like your pressures are too high. I had the same issue with the 135 grn Bayou Bullets. After testing a lot of different loads, I settled on a .38 160 grn Bayou Bullet, and 3.0 grns of Clays with a 1.195 OAL. Very accurate, low recoil, and easy extraction.

Brass is bulged from over pressure round with the CLAYS load. I would bet there was a little sticky extraction too...

You might be able to find a die to resize down far enough to take the bulge out....I used some 9mm dies once with lube and that helped....

DougC

Thanks, pretty much what I thought.. (overpressure). I've got the 9mm Lee "U" die, I'll try it. I'm going to order the 38 spcl. "U" die anyhow. I shot a ICORE match today the gun was flawless with the trigger set at 6.5#'s.... Would have been nice if I had the C-More sighted in a little better but Rob Leatham beat me anyhow (So did just about everyone, actually)....Had fun, shot safe !!!....