Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Springer Precision Steel Challenge Gun

drysideshooter

I put together an open Steel Challenge gun for my son a couple years ago and have been wanting a new one for myself. I decided to talk with Scott Springer about a gun. Scott has worked on my 2011's and 1911's and I've bought quite a few part and such from him over the years. Great guy, and Springer Precision is a great company to do business with. As it turns out Scott had a Steel Challenge demo XDm 9mm with only a few hundred rounds through it he was willing to sell me. He had taken the optic off, but I had an Olive C-More slideride on hand. The gun already had a Barsto Match barrel, Springer 2 port comp, substantially lightened slide, comp trigger, stippled grip, extended mag release, larger grip safety, slide racker, front sight dovetail filled in, 1911 guide rod/spring, etc. It was sniper grey but Scott offered to have the metal sprayed whatever color I wanted, so I chose olive since I had the olive optic on hand. Hard to tell in this pic, but the olive turned out really great, and looks good with the black frame. I had them spray a Carver mount for me while they were spraying the other parts.

It's hard to tell in this pic, but he really lightened the slide a lot. There are the three cutouts, but at the rear of the slide you can see where he cut out a lot of material where the grip serrations used to be at the rear, and the deck where the rear sight dovetail was has been shaved down substantially. The only bummer is that the XDm Ghost Holster that I already have won't work with the Carver mount, so I need to order the CR Speed Holster that has been modified for this gun and mount.

Taking the gun to the range tomorrow and am anxious to shoot it and start working up a load for it. I've really liked WSF in another two port comp XDm that we have, but I will probably try some Autocomp as well because I have some on hand. I want to try some Vit N320 as soon as I can get some as well.

SCXDm.jpg

Edited by drysideshooter

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...