Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M 3500

EricS

I added a Nordic +1 kit which threaded all the way down no problem. I will try to get some more magnum or waterfowl loads through her this week to try and get her broke in for next Sunday's 2 gun match. I am hoping that all she needs is the full power loads down the pipe to get the standard field grade / skeet loads reliable. It will not be fun to start some runs, hopefully good ones, and then have to rack a round back into the chamber because the bolt didn't come back enough to engage the lifter.

Still like the gun so far just hope she gets to be 100% or at least mostly there!

Brian

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be thereand am already signed up. I have been looking forward to the match since it wasbannounced.

Hopefully we can squad together so i can pick up pointers because i have no idea what i am doing but plan to have a lot of fun.

Got 50 magnum steel through her today and ran a bunch of other shells through her.

I guess the breaking in thing is true. It was even running the light top gun loads much better, not 100% but much better.

I now feel better about the m3500 than I did last week. I will just keep it wet and I think it will be good for this Sundays 2 gun match.

Thanks again Tom! If you get those springs let me know.

Brian

In hopes of saving a shoulder or two and dispelling the thought that leaving a shotgun locked back helps. Springs only "wear" by compression/ extension cycles. You just need to get a bunch of rounds through it, they don't have to be mondo pteridactal killing loads. Yeah I know there are several manuals that say use " heavy loads", but this is just to make sure it functions as well as it can......so you don't notice it jamming. 200 rounds of good old regular loads does the same thing....it just doesn't hurt as much, both in shoulder and wallet.

Maybe I am thinking about this wrong. If you are using light loads, and the spring is only compressing 3/4 of the way, how could it be "wearing"? It will only take a set if the cycles are full compression cycles. If it can't even compress far enough to engage the lifter, it probably isn't going to get better. That is why they want break-in to be full-power loads- to ensure full spring compression during cycling.

If it locks back, it is cycling fully. Now I haven't played with many of these, but a 3 DRAM 11/8 ounce load will lock them back....intermittently at first but it will lock back. If it was only coming back 3/4 of the way it wouldn't ever feed another round, which isn't the case. It,s the number, not the strength, but if you want to spend the money on "hotties" instead of "HOTTIES" carry on. :)

I see what you are saying. Post #51 (at the top of this page) mentions that the bolt was not engaging the lifter, so I assumed the bolt was not locking back. The short stroke malfunctions we have been seeing on the M3500s (at least the ones we have had in our shop) have typically ejected the empty (barely), but left the next round on the lifter. When fired on an empty magazine they do not lock back. Empties usually land within 3 feet of the gun. So based on that information, we conclude that the bolt is not travelling fully rearward. 1-1/8 oz loads at about 1200fps seem to be right at the limit, with some fully cycling and some not. Lathe polishing and oiling the OD of the magazine tube almost always brings them to 100% with the same loads. Occasionally there are burrs on the ends of the recoil spring that drag on the tube. If this is the case, you can usually see drag marks on the tube. Polishing the spring end results in a noticeable reduction in friction on the tube. We polish both the spring ends and the tube on every gun now just to eliminate the possibility. Generally speaking they are all running 1oz 1200s and 1-1/8oz 1145s without any break-in at all using this process.

I do understand what you are saying, but I still think 100 rounds of 3 DRAM will do the same job as 50 3.5" goose smashers and still cheaper and less painful. As you have found out....due diligence and attention to detail trump both, and a perfectly prepped gun will run stuff without " Break in" which may be Italian code for rotator cuff surgery. :)

Tom I took your advice and rounded out the edges on the end of the main spring.

I shot it in a 2 gun match today and had 2 failures to feed (round was on lifter) and only had to recharge it each time. Rounds were super X moving at 1255 with a 1 1/8th load. I did find some shaved plastic in the chamber area on the barrel extension (? Not sure what it is called) right after the first failure. I did a light wipedown and then re oiled it. Ran great for another stage or 2 and en on the last stage I had the same fail to feed.

I am hoping it is still breaking in and it will eventually (hopefully soon) run 100% and be reliable.

I was happy with myself and the gun when it came to slugs. Shots were only out about 35 or so yards and some were tight but the thing is a nail driver and put them all dead center of the full fiber bead. They were full power moving 1600+ and I do not remember feeling them that bad. They did sound different though.

Hoping it will be a keeper soon!

Tom I will still take one of those springs when you get them.

Brian

Stoeger recommended continuing to break the gun on by firing it and he also said it is not just a dram thing but he also feels it is a velocity issue as well. I have shot 1 oz loads that were at or over 1300fps and they do seem to work very well.

They would not send me a spring for a 3000 and recommended against it. I will definitely try it though or get a spare 3500 spring and cut it down a little and see if that works.

2 fails to feed with 3 boxes isn't that bad and if that is the worst that it is I would say I can live with it. I am just hoping to get her to be 100%.

I have another match this Sunday and hope to get 100 or so more rounds through it before than.

Brian

Brian, are you running it with the recoil reducer in the stock? What did Stoeger say about sending the m3000 recoil spring?

Thanks! Looking at the m3500 too and wondering if it's worth it to get the larger loading port.

The loading port is nice on it. I opened it up a little and polished it and don't have any trouble dropping deuces or quads.

Pm me your email and I will send pictures. I don't think I can post them.

Shot it again today in my first 3 gun match and she was problem free. I was using win AA 1 &1/8 that says it goes 1300 fps. It kicks a little more than what i used previously.

I was glad to have a problem free match with the shotgun, the pistol and rifle were another story.

Thats already been done, probably not like MOA would do it but i sanded it and took a dremel polishing wheel to it as well.

I also ran 5 boxes for practice last tuesday. I had 1 fail to feed with the fed top gun. Put more oil on thebolt and ran the rest without issue.

It seems like it is breaking in and getting better.

• 8 months later...

I've shot 3.25 dram loads through my 3500 with no problems for over a year. After the first 200rds I tried some 3 dram Walmart win bulk crap had 5-6 ftf out of the 100. Went back to 3.25 dram.

I just recently polished the mag tube an fired 200rds through it using the Walmart federal 3 dram bulk stuff. No problems GTG now, I've kept the bolt locked back since I bought it 18 months ago, every 3 mos I clean it an oil the hell out of it. I'm running the 3dram stuff from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gunther