Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

# Recoil Spring / Performance

SMS2

I'm using #10 and #11 ISMI recoil springs in my 9 major open guns using MG 124 JHP with 172 PF. The guns function/perform/feel perfect. I'm just curious as I see others refer to their 9 majors using recoil springs ranging between

#7 - #10 with similar PF. Despite they're running exceptionally well what would be likely to happen were I to drop the springs# by that much? Would they possibly shoot flatter, softer, etc.?

My assumption is they would loose their timing, have feed problems, etc., "if it's not broke don't fix it'. However if I'm missing an opportunity to improve performance I'd like to know.

Thoughts?

The best advice I've read to taylor your pistol is this: take careful aim then fire two shots as fast as you can, don't reaquire the sights; if the second shot is high, you could benefit from a heavier recoil spring, if the second shot is low the muzzle us dipping as the slide returns to battery so try a lighter one. This method takes into account your particular grip strength and pistol/load.