Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RT 1200B for sizing on XL 650

Scott Steele

I size/decap with a expander ball full length sizer first, then on the opposite side of the tool head is the trimmer to keep lengths uniform. Also sizes and rounds the neck from the inside in prep for the trimmer. I probably do 75% of the sizing in the first station.

The only way I would trim without sizing is on a single stage, and even then I would probably at least run a neck sizer/expander ball/decaper first, but I see no reason to not run the full length sizer/decaper/expander before trimming.

Qualifer; this brass is for semi auto loaders. If I was doing precision gun stuff it would be a bit different.

jj

The reason I use a FL resize/decap die in station 1 is to run the expander ball thru the neck. The RT1200 in station 3 only sizes the outside of the neck which works perfectly fine if I've already assured its perfectly round. I'm using a 550 but the idea is the same.

This reason exactly is why I do the same. If the neck is out of round before placing it through the Rt1200 trim dies it will not be round after.

The reason I use a FL resize/decap die in station 1 is to run the expander ball thru the neck. The RT1200 in station 3 only sizes the outside of the neck which works perfectly fine if I've already assured its perfectly round. I'm using a 550 but the idea is the same.

This reason exactly is why I do the same. If the neck is out of round before placing it through the Rt1200 trim dies it will not be round after.

+1 on that method. I started initially just using a hornady universal decapper in station one, however I replaced it with my dillon sizing die, not only does that clean up the neck, but it made the whole movement smoother as you pull the handle , and the trim is very consistent, seem to only vary a couple of thousands from on case to another. The process is smoother faster and more consistent.

The universal decapper is now on the loading head to make sure the flash hole is clean.