Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BENELLI KNOWLEDGE!

P.E. Kelley

Sure a lighter inertia spring will give you what you seek, HOWEVER since it is lighter, it compresses easier during silly little operations such as closing and locking and just loves to give a little bounce which pushes the bolt out of battery......click! There are ways around it, but it ISN'T good for them!!!

Hmm. It might work on the Vinci, which seems to have a stronger recoil spring than the M2/M1. The stronger recoil spring might hold the bolt closed. However, it might also imbalance the action if the recoil spring overpowers the inertia spring.

I can see why Benelli chose to increase the mass of the bolt body in the Vinci Speed Bolt rather than mess with the springs. The Benelli tech did say that the inertia spring in the Speed Bolt is the same as in the non-Speed Bolt bolt.

If I can't buy the Speed Bolt, I guess I'll have to figure out how to reduce the overall mass of my entire shotgun. It cycles the old B&P slugs that don't work now just fine when using the factory 3rd magazine tube. With that tube, the Vinci is very, very light. Now, with the RCI Xtension 10rd tube, the entire shotgun weighs quite a bit more and won't cycle the low recoil slugs I like.

Thanks for your help, guys. I'd like to cut the overall weight of my Vinci anyway. It is annoying to load weak-hand while held at the shoulder.

I had some work done to my shell catch by someone at a match who bent the catch out a bit b/c rounds were bouncing out of the tube onto the lifter while loading (mistake) and now the shells are hanging up on the lifter in such a way that the lifter won't move upward to chamber the shell and its harder to shove the round into the tube. Shell catch too tight or is something else likely wrong? Was about to replace this one with a new one but everyone seems to be out of stock on them. I have a brand new extra long spring in the tube. Any ideas appreciated.

I had some work done to my shell catch by someone at a match who bent the catch out a bit b/c rounds were bouncing out of the tube onto the lifter while loading (mistake) and now the shells are hanging up on the lifter in such a way that the lifter won't move upward to chamber the shell and its harder to shove the round into the tube. Shell catch too tight or is something else likely wrong? Was about to replace this one with a new one but everyone seems to be out of stock on them. I have a brand new extra long spring in the tube. Any ideas appreciated.

Don't let guys fix your gun at a match unless their name is CRums, Pat, Cyrwus, Benny, Taran, or Kurt.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out today with my brand spanking new Vinci. It was flawless with Winchester Ranger low recoil slugs (1200 FPS), 3 1/4 dram 1oz Estate dove loads, and Rem heavy dove.

Couldn't be happier. 1.4lbs less weight than my SLP and the recoil seems exactly the same. Loading port definitely needs work though.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks to a tip from lumberjack149, I looked into the comparative weights of the Vinci extended mag tubes out there. The 10rd RCI X-Rail I have weighs 17.1oz fully assembled, no ammo, and Nordic tells me their total-of-10-rounds MXT-VINCI-7 weighs 14oz fully assembled, no ammo. I purposefully compared apples to apples with both tubes being 10rds total capacity each.

Fully assembled means in both cases: the part of the tube that fits into the foregrip with the twist-lock collar and release button (holds 3 rounds), the part of the tube that extends out the front of the foregrip and that holds the extra rounds (7 in both cases), spring, end cap, and follower.

Thus, I can reduce the overall weight of my Vinci by just under 3oz. by swapping tubes. This may solve the intermittent problem with short-stroking low-recoil slugs.

Hopefully this helps someone.

On a side note, I am looking at the Lancer carbon fiber extension tube, which is ridiculously light, but it requires the factory Benelli Vinci 5-rd mag tube as a base, and Benelli refuses to sell these to anyone except law enforcement (thanks to Obama's signing statement of some bill a couple of years ago regarding importing of sporting shotguns). So I will likely not ever be able to fully-assemble or test the Lancer tube. The Benelli factory 5-rd tube is widely available in Europe and comes standard on the Benelli Italy Vinci SpeedBolt model.

Edited by dchang0