Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to Dispense Varget

EricW

I just noticed something tonight after loading up some 223 with Varget. It takes a LOT longer for the powder to run down the funnel than I thought. I had so little left in the measure when I was done, I decided just to shift the toolhead over and dump the last bit of Varget into the bottle by hitting the charge bar a few times.

Surprise! That stuff drops sssssslllllllllooooooooowwwwwww. It takes one full second (maybe just a shade over) for the entire charge to drop. No less. I know this doesn't sound earth-shattering, but it means you have to deliberately pause at the top of the cycle if you don't want Varget everywhere. One second is actually longer than I thought when I looked at my watch and waited for the powder to drop.

FWIW...

Ah yup. I love the way Varget shoots. I hate the way it meters. George (and others too probably) have stated that a good, consistent and brisk cycle of the arm helps.

When metering with my RCBS measure (not doing .223 in a progressive...yet...oh Santa....) I use a "triple-rap" with the charge handle at both the top and bottom of the cycle. This really speeds things up.

But Varget is no worse than any other powder like that. 4831 etc are just as bad.