Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STEEL CHALLENGE G19 vs G34

Kimbertarget

Hello,

I won a production division with my E.D.C. GLOCK-19. It was only my second time competing in steel challenge but i shoot other associations.

Heres my problem,i bought a brand new GLOCK-34 and assumed the longer sight radius would help with precision and its the opposite. I not only shoot more accurate from a draw with my G-19 but more precise

Groups as well. How can this be? Before you say i need to practice more with the G34, i actually shoot my COLT enhanced 1911 .45 also better than the glock-34 (zev spring/etc 3lb pull)

I slowed it all down and im shooting to the left and sometimes down. I tried the pad of finger,power crease and tip and im still more accurate with my glock-19 on follow up shots and double taps.

The glock-34 feels like the slide mass makes perceived recoil greater than my glock-19 which seems to snap (return back) to my sight picture in the same spot. I can double tap and the front sight will fall right back to the same P.O.A., the glock34 returns to the left. I know its me (indian not arrow) but what am i changing/doing wrong?? Its almost the same pistol with a "better sight radius",i should be more precise with the 34 not the 19..

Thank you in advance

You may need to work with the spring weights in the G34 to get the recoil impulse right for you. I think you just need a little more time and tuning, and then you may wonder how you ever shot the 19. However, there is really nothing wrong with the 19, and not everybody prefers longer barreled guns!

Mike

We sometimes see this when we quailfy people at the range; guys will shoot their G23/G27 supplemental guns better than the G22 issue guns. Different factors come into play such as grip size, if the full size grip is too big then guys will shoot the G23 or G27 better. I was guilty of this too, I used to shoot my G23 better than my issue G22 when I first started. Though the grip thing wasnt an issue as I have meat hooks for hands. Once I got more proficient my scores with the G22 became way better than those with the G23.

Once you get more trigger time on the 34 you'll definitely appreciate the full size grip and long sight radius of the G34 for more accurate shots. Getting a lighter recoil spring should help things, along with finding the right load. Besides, the G19 makes for a great carry (if your state allows it) or home defense gun.

Edited by blaster113

Agreed, you can tune it easily and quickly with different recoil springs. I found that I like the stock 17 lb spring in my 35 even with my minor loads. I tried a 14 lb and it was noticeably quicker but also the recoil impulse was greater. Even with the 17 lb it runs all the time and locks back after the last round. I am using a Zev SS uncaptured rod and Wolf springs.