Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another upper question

pmt

I'm not going to ask 'which upper should I buy?' There are many varied opinions on what's best, depending on your need.

I've got an older Colt AR15A2 with a 20" barrel. A cheek weld is more like laying my chin on the butt stock to find the scope. I would prefer to install a flattop upper rather than replace the gun. I'm looking at Bushmaster/DPMS/CMMG/RRA in the $400-$600 range, 16" or 18", to be used for monthly club shooting 2G/3G.

My question is: Is there any certain brand or model I should stay away from? i konw there will be a lot of opinions on this as well, but think Yugo, or Ford Pinto. I've read a lot of posts where shooters describe why they like their particular setup, but no one has said "my XXX upper really sucks, don't buy one"

I'm assuming that in the price range I've set, most of them are the same as the others. I'm an old, slow running guy just getting into this game, so every little advantage is not necessary. I'm just out to shoot & have fun.

Any advice is appreciated.

From the price range you posted, I assume you want to replace the upper assembly (upper receiver, barrel, gas block , handguard + small parts).

For that, you will need to check on the diameter of the pivot (front takedown) pin. Colts manufactured between 1991 and 2009 are called "large pin" guns. The pivot pin is .315" in diameter. Colts before 1991 and after 2009 plus ARs of most (possibly all) other manufacturers use a smaller (0.25" diameter) pin. There are "conversion" pins that can make the large pin lower compatible with small pin upper.

There are numerous vendors that offer complete uppers in your price range. A lot of it has to do with what you want to accomplish. Will you be hosing paper targets at club matches closer than 100 yards or do you plan on a prairie dog hunt with shots beyond 500 yards?

Give us some info and we can give you a better answer.

Bill

From the price range you posted, I assume you want to replace the upper assembly (upper receiver, barrel, gas block , handguard + small parts).

For that, you will need to check on the diameter of the pivot (front takedown) pin. Colts manufactured between 1991 and 2009 are called "large pin" guns. The pivot pin is .315" in diameter. Colts before 1991 and after 2009 plus ARs of most (possibly all) other manufacturers use a smaller (0.25" diameter) pin. There are "conversion" pins that can make the large pin lower compatible with small pin upper.

There are numerous vendors that offer complete uppers in your price range. A lot of it has to do with what you want to accomplish. Will you be hosing paper targets at club matches closer than 100 yards or do you plan on a prairie dog hunt with shots beyond 500 yards?

Bill

Exactly, my plan was to just replace the upper with a complete assembly.

The front pin is a two-part screw at .315" diameter.

As for what I want to accomplish - club matches with most paper at 50yds or closer, but with occasional stages from 250yds out to 400yds.

Maybe I'll just keep the JP compensator, and replace everything.

Thanks.

Bill

Exactly, my plan was to just replace the upper with a complete assembly.

The front pin is a two-part screw at .315" diameter.

As for what I want to accomplish - club matches with most paper at 50yds or closer, but with occasional stages from 250yds out to 400yds.

Maybe I'll just keep the JP compensator, and replace everything.

Thanks.

You are where I'm at right now. The local matches I shoot have most of the rifle stages at 50 yards or less and possibly one stage with rifle targets out to 200 yards.

My plans are to shoot a few matches next year that will call for shots out past 500 yards.

After thinking about replacing the 16" barrel with an 18" match barrel, I decided to build a complete new upper and keep the 16" upper intact for practice and those club matches where a 16" makes more sense.

Bill