Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which mec-gar small frame mag?

djb25

Hi everyone,

I shot my first match with my "new-to-me" small frame limited on Saturday. Everything went great, with only one minor hiccup.

Unfortunately, I didn't exactly shoot great - it was an idpa classifier and I ended up missing sharpshooter by 1/2 second. That was on me, though. Maybe it was too cold...

Anyway, I only have four "good" magazines for the small frame. Two 16 round mec-gar CZ 75b mags and two factory CZ 16 round mags (which are identical to the mec-gars, minus the branding). These are all the gloss blue finished mags with the metal baseplate.

I was going to order a few extra mags, but it appears there are several options for the small frame witness. There is the normal gloss blue CZ75b 16 round mag like I already have, but I'd rather buy the 17 round mec-gar "optimum" mags. I've used those mags in my p226 and my large frame limited pro, and I've really liked them.

However, it seems like I have two choices:

1. There is the mec-gar "optimum" CZ75b 17 rd mag with the anti friction coating and blue follower.

2. Mec-Gar optimum 17 rd Witness Small Frame magazine. Greg Cote lists these and they're listed on the mec-gar website. The photo doesn't show a blue follower, but it could just be a stock photo of any magazine.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between these two mags?

Ok, I actually have a mecgar optimum 17rd cz75b mag at the house. It's shaped slightly different than the 16 rd mags, and is a tiny bit longer. The basepad is a little short for the witness, but it seems it would function fine.

Maybe the difference between the two is the basepad?

I also left out a third option - the mecgar optimum +2 mags for the cz. I'll probably buy these if they're compatible.

2. Mec-Gar optimum 17 rd Witness Small Frame magazine. Greg Cote lists these and they're listed on the mec-gar website. The photo doesn't show a blue follower, but it could just be a stock photo of any magazine.

I've got one of these, has a black follower. At least it did when I came in possession of it.