Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel shooting league

Ignatz

I shoot a revolver in Uspsa, Icore and a local steel league that next year will have 14 matches.

Should I be shooting a lower power factor in the steel league?

And if my Icore load is 970fps with a 130gr bullet, will a 105 gr bullet at 970fps have the same impact at 25 yards. (I don't want to change the sights).

My wife shoots too, so in the steel league that's 3500 rounds if we don't miss!!!

Any opinions if we should stick to one load for the whole year, or shoot a light load for static steel. Thanks, Rob

Personally, I shoot all steel matches with loads that make minor. But then my steel match schedule includes falling steel and Pro-Am matches, and you can't use loads that are ridiculously light in those games.

All other factors being equal, a lighter bullet at the same velocity will generally hit the target lower at 25 yards. It may or may not be enough to matter.

Don't be afraid to adjust your sights....just figure out how many clicks you're moving it up and down.

In my personal experience the impacts are a little different, but not toooo much.

I use a 105 grain bullet for steel challenge, and 160 grain for minor power factor. The 160 grain bullet hits a couple inches higher then the 105 grain bullet, not enough for me to adjust my sights every time though.