Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will timer give times dry firing?

bentrod

I am new to action shooting, but have been shooting bullseye for 5 years. I plan on training this winter indoors with lots of dry firing and other drills along with some indoor shooting.

How do I time my draw, and other aspects of dry fire training?

Jim

I asked a question about this just last week. What I have been using that works fairly well is the free iPhone app Shot Timer by Surefire. If I set the sensitivity to max and place it on a pile of books on a table infront of where I dry fire it picks up the hammer on both my Beretta 92FS and CZ-75B just fine. Every once in a while it will pick up a click from when my gun comes out of the holster, but I can figure that out and I just add the first two times together when that happens. Give her a try.

I doubt if it would work well for dry fire, but the new wrist-mounted DAA timer, the shot maxx claims it's great for picking up airsoft guns. That might be an easy alternative to a stop plate if you use those for training. I just par time everything with my real gun.

+1 on the Surefire iPhone app and using the par time function. I like it more than my Pocket Pro for dry fire because I can drop the volume to a reasonable level for indoors.

Dry-fire drills can range from draws & reloads to shooting entire field courses with multiple shooting positions and reloads.