Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More STS Problem

cohland

Using a C-More STS slide-mounted on a Glock G35 in Open, things have worked pretty well for over a year, until yesterday. I suddenly encountered a problem with the sight, where the dot was flickering on the last two stages. I changed the battery, no help. After I got home I discovered that the dot flashes when the gun is dry-fired. Hmmm. Looks ominous.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem with this particular sight and mount?

Is the dot module something that can be swapped on the STS?

I've written to C-More, but though I would check the Forum as well.

Thanks,

Chris

I've encountered the same issue recently with an STS on a G17, dot fading out and then flickering when dry fired. I thought it was the switch at first, but after "fiddling" with it, and changing the battery and making sure the battery tray is secured back in "exactly so", the issue seems to have stopped, at least for the moment. I'm keeping a close eye on it, but the issue seems to be more with how the battery is making contact inside than anything else. There is an o-ring in there with the battery tray that seems to play a part in keep the battery secure against the battery contact. Truthfully, I don't think it has anything to do with the led module. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. It will be interesting to see what C-More has to say when they answer.

I've encountered the same issue recently with an STS on a G17, dot fading out and then flickering when dry fired. I thought it was the switch at first, but after "fiddling" with it, and changing the battery and making sure the battery tray is secured back in "exactly so", the issue seems to have stopped, at least for the moment. I'm keeping a close eye on it, but the issue seems to be more with how the battery is making contact inside than anything else. There is an o-ring in there with the battery tray that seems to play a part in keep the battery secure against the battery contact. Truthfully, I don't think it has anything to do with the led module. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. It will be interesting to see what C-More has to say when they answer.

Thanks! I'll bet we were at the same match at Albany yesterday. No amount of fiddling has had any effect on mine, but I do see a flat spring inside which holds the battery in position. If that's weak, it could be part of the problem, but it does not look "user serviceable" to me. I'll wait to hear from C-More and will update this thread. Hopefully they can service the thing.

Chris

I think the o-ring is concealed in above or below one of those metal panels in the guts to keep the electronics at least water resistant, if not water tight. And yes, the flat spring in there is the battery contact, so it needs good tension and a clean surface. You might take a small swab and make sure it is clean. The other thing to check is that your mounting screws are not tightened down too much. There is a warning in the C-More instructions that over tightening the mounting screws on the STS can interfere with the battery contact. I guess over tightening can squeeze the aluminum housing and effect the flat spring contact. Snug, but not overly tight is what they should be. You might check that as well as long as you are trouble shooting. A drop of blue Loctite on the mounting screws should make sure they stay secure in the threads and hold the sight on.

And yes, we were at same match at ARPC yesterday. The results would seem to indicate that I was there physically, if not mentally, with lots of mistakes I attribute to focus. Let's just say I did not have a stellar day at the range. I did get 3rd B open, but there must have only been three shooters, as I was a long, long way from 2nd.

Wrapping this up, the sight came back from C-More today. They had a problem repairing it, apparently a screw stripped when they were working on it, so they replaced the sight with a new one. That was an unexpected surprise. This is a sight that is two years old, out of warranty, and they took it back to repair it without asking for a credit card. All communications was prompt and polite. I will do business with C-More again, they certainly know how to treat customers.

Chris