Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 Blackout Upper Help, deciding barrel and gas block

Rifleshooter24

I need some help with a build I'm researching. I want to build a 300 blackout with a 14.5" barrel, pin and welded AAC muzzlebrake. This gun will be run suppressed mostly, but I want it to function unsuppressed too in case I'm ever in a pinch. This is going to be my home defense, hunting, farm, hard use carbine. I want a set-up that's extremely rugged and reliable, but also reasonably short and handy. Quality components but reasonably cost effective. My dilemma involves the decision between an adjustable gas block and non-adjustable.

What I've decided so far: 13.5" Noveske NSR handguard, Ranier Arms Upper combo with BCG and Raptor charging handle, AAC 51T Blackout flash hider.

Barrel: I'm torn between the Noveske 14.5" lo pro or the Ranier Arms select 14.5."

That being said, I have been researching these barrels and am having trouble deciding between an adjustable gas block and a standard that's pinned. I prefer the pinned for reliability, but in talking with a sales rep today for Ranier Arms he recommended an adjustable gas block.

I've read that a 300 blk out won't function with a carbine gas system under 16". I've also noticed Noveske offers their barrels with a pistol length gas system. I tried to find one but they are $455. Ranier Arms has a good looking Select 300 Blk Out barrel coated black for $259. It's guaranteed sub moa with match ammo, but it has a carbine gas system.

Is it incorrect to not want an adjustable gas block on a hard-use, defense carbine? I'd prefer to just have the standard gas block, but if the adjustable gas blocks are reliable, I guess it would be the better route? Has anyone had this issue, and if so, what did you choose and how did it work?

I'd like the shorter 14.5", but the AAC 16" upper with knights rail for $1,080 is looking better and better everyday.

If your going to be switching ammo around I wouldn't go adjustable. The point of the adjustable is to dial it down so it runs just enough gas to operate it reliably and this will reduce recoil because its not getting too much gas. They work really well if your always going to be running the exact same ammo all the time and you can dial it in just right.

You're asking for reliability so I will go with a pistol gas system without an adjustable gas block. You will have more choices with powder if you handload also. The purpose for the adjustable gas block is to turn down the gas when shooting supers to reducing recoil, and reducing battering to the BCG. I noticed that my Noveske has tighter chamber tolerance ( pros and cons ) I do more plinking and short range matches and noticed that that barrel don't like dirty ammo . So I use more my Stoner or ArPartsPlatform set up.

I like the adjustable route. But you really don't need it for your purpose. My next 300BLK build won't have one.

Get the Noveske 14.7" barrel. I have a 16", and it runs very well. It is a pistol gas and comes with a pinned lo-pro, non-adjustable gas block. It will not run really light sub loads 100% without the suppressor, but it is otherwise 100% reliable on par with a standard 5.56 AR. It is not completely overgassed if shooting suppressed supers. Also, I previously had a Wilson Combat barrel with carbine gas, but was disappointed with its reliability with subs.

In addition, the Noveske has proven to be very accurate with a large variety of loads, and the 1/7 twist will stabilize 240 gr bullets too...

Edit: +3 that adjustable is not necessary for your purposes. In fact, I would actively avoid adjustable. Just another failure point, and another place for gas to leak (which will cause you to pull your hair out when running subs, they are running near the threshold for cycling)

Edited by mic2377

Thanks, that was my thoughts exactly. I like stuff that works, I don't want to introduce another failure point. That being said, I don't want it to be horribly gassed either. I like the looks of the ranier barrel for the money, but I don't know why they'd go with the carbine length gas system. By the time I buy $100 adjustable gas block and their $259 barrel, then have it installed, I'm up there in the Noveske price anyway.

I have read some good things about the Syrac adjustable block, but again I'm not sure I want to bring another variable into the reliability equation.

I will be changing ammo back and forth, supersonic for general hunting, subsonic for defense or close quarters hunting. Subsonic will always be suppressed as long as my AAC keeps kicking.

What about that noveske gas block that has a couple of settings? I assume they would be suppressed/un suppressed/off. I think it is called switch block????

It has a big knob that sticks out the front to make it easy to change....

Edited by latech15

It won't fit under any Handguard. I may give syrac a try if I can't talk to someone at aac or ranier to find out if the carbine length will work without adjustable gas block on the 14.5". That or just buy the noveske.

I wouldn't put an adjustable gas block on a carbine gas. Just the pistol gas system. If anything, I'd open up the carbine port to .125

Would I be better off to forget the 14.5" pin and welded and just go with the aac mpw 16" or noveske 15" w/NSR? I hate adding 6 inches to a 16" rifle with the suppressor, but seems the money will be about the same. I think I could get Ranier to pin and weld their select barrel (14.5) and install gas block, all for around $385 ($485 with muzzlebreak). By the time I add NSR, upper receiver group, BCG and charging handle, I'm right there at $1,200. Has anyone had experience with the Ranier .300 blk out barrels? Are they g2g? They make them sound solid on the website, but then I'd have to get the right buffer/springs etc to make sure it will run. The AAC and Noveske should run no problems as they are factory assembled. I want the 14.5", but my head is saying just forget the custom build and buy an assembled urg.

Decisions decisions.