Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN barrel quality?

Tuflehundon

Buddy fo mine found an AR upper for sale and is asking me a bunch of questions. I have never used a FN barrel and don't know much about the quality. He is wanting to use it for 3gun and action shooting.

He has found 2 options. 1st is a PSA upper with a 20" FN government profile cold hammer forged barrel 1in7 twist, Samson Evolution 15" rail, and a comp.

2nd option is a YHM upper with YHM 9" free float rail, Daniel Defense 18" S2W heavy profile cold hammer forged barrel 1in7 twist. Also has an A2 flash supressor instead of a comp.

Both have compairable BCG's and charging handles. Both have a low round count. Only thing I didn't like about option 2 is the short hand guard, but he didn't mind as much. Price for both is the same.

Daniel Defense has a great reputation, but FN makes the machine gun I used to carry.

Not really sure which to recommend to him. I'm thing option 2 due to the barrel, but he would need a comp and may eventually want a different rail like the Samson Evo.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Tuflehundon

The FN barrel is good to go. I've owned both and would venture to say that the quality is about the same between the two.

If that's the case I think I will recommend the 1st option to since it has a better rail system and already has a comp installed.

• 3 weeks later...

He ended up with the 1st upper that had the FN barrel. We put my bipod on it and took it to the range yesterday to get his optic sighted in. Using American Eagle 55gr ammo he was able to get groups under 2" with most groups being around 1 3/4". For a newer shooter, I'd say that's pretty good. I was able to get sub 1" groups with it, with my best 3 shot group being 5/8". With better ammo I think it could have done better. I was impressed with it being a government profile barrel and not a heavy.

Thanks for the advice guys. He was very happy with it. Now he wants to take some classes to learn to shoot like I do.