Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any experience with Brownell's nitrided 416R barrels?

mpom

No user feedback on their site, so thought I would check with the Collective.

Wondering what kind of accuracy I can expect with known quality ammo that will print MOA in known match barrels.

Is this considered a "rack grade" barrel as far as accuracy potential or closer to match grade, useful for competition?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar15-m16-308ar-barrels-prod56797.aspx

Thanks,

Mark

I don't have any experience with them. However, the price looks comparable to others (Wilson Combat, Nordic) that are generally considered accurate enough for 3Gun. I have a Wilson Combat 16" mid gas that will shoot better than I can. Unless there was a reason, I'd go with something with a known track record. YMMV.

My first choice is a ranier select, but am getting antsy as its been unavailable for many months, so looking elswhere. Wilson is a bit more money, but will consider.

do you have the lightweight or recon?

Edited by mpom

My first choice is a ranier select, but am getting antsy as its been unavailable for many months, so looking elswhere. Wilson is a bit more money, but will consider.

do you have the lightweight or recon?

Lightweight profile. Originally I wanted a Nordic 18" rifle gas, but they weren't available. I got impatient and found the Wilson on another forum at a decent price.

Well the Ranier Select 16" MEDCON is back in stock and the way! Hope its as accurate as they claim. Was going to go with a Criterion Hybrid 16" which a match grade chrome lined barrel rather than nitrided 416R, both from brownell's. I like the profile of the Select; moderately thick before gas block then thinner, yet still pretty light. Never had polygon rifling other than in a Glock. Not sure about vague mention of harder bore surface due to proprietary manufacturing process, but a barrel is a consumable item, so if lasts 8+K rounds I'll be happy. Went with the Select over Criterion due to lower price. Wilson would have been a good choice also, but more money than Select. Both are supposed to be match grade so no advantage to either, other than price difference.

Edited by mpom