Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most popular Optivisor magnification for gun work?

Patrick Scott

I wear reading glasses to see anything closer than my arm length and use an optivisor knock-off (I think it is 1.75x or 2x) with the reading glasses. This combination gives me good magnification/detail at about 12-16” which is a comfortable working distance for most tasks. I have another visor with higher magnification and use that when doing something like stoning a sear/hammer, but have to get my face about 6-8” away from the work to keep it in focus. Too much magnification and you have to get closer to the work to get it in focus which can be a pain if you don’t need that much magnification for that task.

So, which magnification is best will be influenced by things like if you wear glasses and what the tasks are that you use it for. Best approch would be to try a couple if you can to see what you think.

BTW – the “real” optivisor is a quality product with good lenses a very comfortable headband. I had one and really liked it but lost it somehow, since then I got a couple of knock-offs which do fine for my limited use but they are not nearly as nice.