Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island 10mm

us_shooter

I was going to when I had mine. Unless you get a great deal on a barrel I wouldn't bother. By the time you buy a quality barrel and had it fit you'd be better off just getting a used sti. Them there's the matter of all the blending and dehorning that needs to be done. Also the newer ones are not cut for a bushing if you wanna shot in comps other than L10

I know they aren't pretty, polished guns but my brother has several of them and his are accurate and reliable. None of his have the bull barrel like the 10mm though.

He also has a beautiful stainless SA Match model that is the most inaccurate 1911 I have ever fired. It won't shoot a group any smaller than 3" from a ransom rest with anything you put in it, handloads or otherwise. It sure is pretty though.

I looked at a Trojan the other day at a local gun shop and was not impressed at all. Fit was good, but the trigger was terrible. Even the shop owner was shocked by it. A $1300 gun shouldn't need a trigger job out of the box. A RIA should need a trigger job for the price.

That's what got me to thinking about a RIA 10mm conversion since I do my own gun work.

RIA 10mm $575

40 cal barrel $160

New hammer/sear $75

Total $810

That's a pretty substantial cost savings in my book compared to:

STI Trojan $1300

New hammer/sear $75

Total $1375

Not to mention that everything I've read on this forum leads me to believe that the only way to make a Trojan function reliably is to buy Tripp mags

Hmmm well doing your own work will save you some coin. If you're fine with running a bull barrel 40 then go for it. The trojans come up used pretty frequently with plenty of work done for a fair price was why I suggested it. The rocks have para ramped barrels. I was under whelmed with mine when it came down to it so away it went. If it comes time I want a 10 again, I will just build my own since I really enjoy that route.

I didn't realize they had para ramps. That may muddy up the numbers a little.

I definitely agree with the used Trojan idea but I've never been able to catch one in time. They always seem to pop up when I'm somewhere without internet for a while. LOL

Barrel choices are storm lake, kkm, Schumann, svi I believe. Storm lake being the cheapest. I almost always buy used to keep costs down and also so I don't lose my shirt if I sell it off later. Builds start with all new parts though. Those don't get sold though.

• 1 month later...