Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to Decide

Currently I am shooting a Springfield Range Officer in SS and Limited 10. I am having a great time, but wonder what it would be like to simply shoot without having to reload as often. I have looked at my son's Glock 22 and a friend's M&P Pro 40. I have also handled an XD 40 once or twice. I think my 1911 feels better than any of them. It certainly has a better trigger. Right now I am leaning to either an XD M in 40 or 45 or an M&P in 40 S&W. My reason for going to a 45 is I already reload 45 and I would have to set up for a new caliber if I go to 40 S&W. Not a big deal but it would cost a few bucks to add 40 to my list of reloading calibers.

My question is should I jump in and buy a polymer gun to shoot limited or should I save my pennies and buy a double stack 1911 of some sort. If a polymer gun which one would offer the greatest range of uses, the best upgrades and would be the most accurate? I know that Glocks have a giant following, but I am not really a lover of Glocks. I tend to handle the others better, and I reload -- mostly lead bullets. A glock purchase would requirement me to buy an aftermarket barrel or shoot expensive bullets.

Any advice?

Edited by Bart Solo

• 1 month later...

My bet is nothing is going to "feel" quite as nice as your 1911. Anyway that's how I feel. But the 2011 is as close to it as anything else will be.

But you can get used to most anything if you put in the practice.

I'd be Interested in an update. What did you choose? How is it working out for you? Thanks.

I have been shooting 1911 and 2011s and love how they feel. I have been shooting an M&P for production and wasn't quite as happy with the feel (actually the lighter weight). I have gone to a CZ because of the feel of the gun. It is very much like the 1911 or maybe better???? I have not gotten any range time with it yet but it looks promising. One of the CZ75 models could work well in production, limited 10 and limited if you go minor.

2011. having used all the guns you have listed in some kind of comp, they can't seem to hold a candle to the 2011. I know there are some great shooters that used them, but they are few. since you are used to the 1911 style platform and safety, it would seem the logical way to go.

the off season is a great time to buy a used 2011. i have seen some great deals on the equip listing recently.