Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.243 AI Load Data

Agney5

In the process of a bolt build I've got my barrel on the way 1 in 14" Shilen Match stainless. My plans are to push a light bullet possibly 55 Nosler or 58 VMax (open to slightly heavier bullets up to 70?) hoping to hit 4200 mark unless I go much heavier obviously. So who can help me out, not a lot of .243 AI info out there so who is shooting one and what load are you using? Another thing to keep in mind I'm not looking necessarily for your most accurate load, yes I want sub MOA if possible but I understand with the other parameters I've set that might not be real easy. This will be a coyote rifle probably wont push it much past 500 yard range. This is a fun build for me not something I would normally build, but I'm in gunsmithing school and a bolt build is one of our projects so I'm looking for something a little more unique.

Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Side info

Blue Printed Remington 700 SA LH

Using Stocky's laminate left handed VLR in Desert

PTG Bottom metal and 10 round Accuracy International mag

Considering Timney trigger but open to suggestions (must fit left handed 700)

• 3 weeks later...

I built one on a 20" krieger 1 in 13.5 twist. Shot 70g sierras in .320 with varget. And running Hornady 58g with varget as well. CCI 200 primers. It's fast haven't had it cronoed but she smokes. Killed a coyote at 200 last fall he never took a step. I like the varget, temp restisant powder.

I have a 6mm and hit 4400fps with a 55gr Nosler Combined Tech Ballistic Tip, out of a 24" barrel. Consider getting a short throated reamer if you are going to shoot the light bullets. In my Ruger rifle, the 55gr Nosler would not touch rifling and still be in the case.

What length barrel will you have? A 26" barrel would be my minimum if I were building.

EG

I'm leaving 70's as an option but my plan is something light if possible.<br /><br />I have a 28" barrel, good call in short throated reamer didn't even think about that. <br /><br />Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk<br /><br />

I am also running some Sierra 70 g BTHP out of a 26" Shilen with a break. 1/10 twist. Varget @ 45.5 shoots in the threes. The 1/13.5 ran the same load accuracy was in the 4's. CCI 200 primers Lapua brass. Don't skimp on the brass! I ran Winchester for awhile and had some case separation towards the rear of the case. Lapua is "fatter" towards the base and my cases show not signs that the Winchester did. Either way you go there fast had have a lot of punch out to 500yds. They wack the crap out of my steel plate at that range.

If you can find the bulk 58g zombie bullets they are a good buy for $70. I bought 1500 figured the barrel would toast bout 750. So I have enough for 2 barrels.