Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone with a SP01 Shadow using Tula primers?

Nimitz

I tried them for my training rds with my G34 but the first pack of 100 I tried had 8 light strikes. Needed Fed 100s for match ammo but Winchester and CCIs worked fine in training with only 1-2 light strikes per 200-300 rds.

I've love to be able switch to Tulas now for training ammo since $6/100 saving over 25,000 rds is significant ....

I'm using them in my SP01 with no issues. I have an 11# mainspring and a Cajun Gun Works extended firing pin. The cups on the primers I am using are brass colored and seem to be softer than the old silver ones. You do have to make sure you seat them well.

• 4 weeks later...

I've loaded a few thousand rounds of Tula and shot them on my Shadow Target (with CZ extended FP).

In the beginning, I attributed the failures to my not seating the primers deep enough.

Then I attributed the failures to possibly my gun not being clean.

I've moved on and I only use Winchester or Fiocchi primers on the Shadow.

The Tula's I have are the brass colored primers - for now I will use them only on my 1911. If I continue to have failures I will send them back to Tula for a refund.

with a Glock if you have a lightened striker & spring like from Glockworx then you need to use only Fed 100/200s for 100% reliability. I've tried all primers and only the Feds are 100%. I use Wins for practice since they are easier to get and get 1-3 light strikes per 400-500 rds. With Tulas I was getting 8-9 per 100 but I don't remember what color they were.

well, i assume you guys are doing everything basically right re: tula primers. i bought a bunch, due to hazmat fees and the 2013 ammo shortage, and they've performed like champs. well, i pull trigger, they go off. i think one or two, at the most, did not, out of 1000. one was due to an unseated primer. the other, i assume was also my fault due to similar type issue.

one thing - they are .001" wider in diameter than the next largest primer, afaict. they're the widest primers i measured, out of remington, winchester, and cci. i was drinking shots when i measured, tho........

i guess one thing i'd like to know - so for people having problems with the tula's ------ that's just one of those idiosyncratic things???? i noticed one guy's glock didn't like them (tula's) and i assumed glocks liked almost everything....

Edited by overlubed