Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fridays at Peacemaker

Moltke

23 Sep 2013

When I started competitive shooting in May 2012, I quickly realized how far behind the curve I was by barely making Production B class. A year later in May of 2013, I achieved Production A class, and now I'm working towards Production Master. This is my thread to track my live fire practice sessions at Peacemaker National Training Center each Friday.

My usual training program is to take what I did poorly at my most recent competition and specifically work on those things. I use a range movement drill that I call "Haul Ass" because it is a simple drill designed to get someone from point A to point B as fast as possible between shots. Start with one target to the left of a barricade, draw then gun, shoot the target, run & reload, get to the other side of the barricade, and shoot another target. Sometimes the barricade is 5-7-10-12 yards long depending on what I need; sometimes I use fault lines or box A/B type setup, sometimes there is no actual barricade.

What's nice about this "Haul Ass" drill is that it's modular and can be re-designed or re-positioned if you want to change your focus. As far as a drill it is simple, measureable, repeatable, focused on speed, requires accuracy, gun handling, and range movement. Additionally, it's modular so you can add/remove targets, types, barricades, ports, reloads, etc, as needed. I expect that most of my live fire is going to be some variation of this "Haul Ass" drill, mixed in with whatever it is that I'm trying to work on - until I find a better way to train.

I will try the best I can to explain what I'm working on, how, and why - and unless I specify something different I am always shooting at IPSC metric cardboards.

Edited by Moltke

13 Sep 2013 (two weeks ago)

Recently, I shot a no-shoot... so I put up my usual range movement drill making a 7 yard square with two targets, and stapled a no-shoot to each. I placed the no-shoot diagonally across the lower A zone so only the upper left portion of the target was exposed. I would line up on the edge of the barricade, arms length away, prep the timer and wait.

Beep! Draw, fire 2rds, reload while moving, and fire 2rds more rounds.

I would go both directions, sometimes do it dry, sometimes focus on speed, but mostly trying to deliberately call my shots. I ran this drill 50 times or thereabouts, shooting 200rds. Only A zone hits counted, pasted outside the A zone, and for the most part it went well. My speed /accuracy / consistency weren't where I wanted them to be but that's the point of practice right?

I then finished up with some strong/weak hand shooting from 10/7 yards respectively.

20 Sep 2013 (last week)

Today was actually a USPSA side match at Peacemaker during the FN 3 Gun Championship. I shot the side match and then wandered around introducing myself to 3 Gun competitors/vendors/etc, hoping to talk with some pro's and I did meet - Jerry Miculek, James Darst, and several others. There was no practice today but it's also not every day that your home range has a national level 3 Gun Nation match going on. Results from the USPSA side match are back and I placed 5th behind 2 Grand Masters and 2 Masters. I'll settle for that.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

23 Sep 2013

When I started competitive shooting in May 2012, I quickly realized how far behind the curve I was by barely making Production B class. A year later in May of 2013, I achieved Production A class, and now I'm working towards Production Master. This is my thread to track my live fire practice sessions at Peacemaker National Training Center each Friday.

My usual training program is to take what I did poorly at my most recent competition and specifically work on those things. I use a range movement drill that I call "Haul Ass" because it is a simple drill designed to get someone from point A to point B as fast as possible between shots. Start with one target to the left of a barricade, draw then gun, shoot the target, run & reload, get to the other side of the barricade, and shoot another target. Sometimes the barricade is 5-7-10-12 yards long depending on what I need; sometimes I use fault lines or box A/B type setup, sometimes there is no actual barricade.

What's nice about this "Haul Ass" drill is that it's modular and can be re-designed or re-positioned if you want to change your focus. As far as a drill it is simple, measureable, repeatable, focused on speed, requires accuracy, gun handling, and range movement. Additionally, it's modular so you can add/remove targets, types, barricades, ports, reloads, etc, as needed. I expect that most of my live fire is going to be some variation of this "Haul Ass" drill, mixed in with whatever it is that I'm trying to work on - until I find a better way to train.

I will try the best I can to explain what I'm working on, how, and why - and unless I specify something different I am always shooting at IPSC metric cardboards.

like it