Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL bullet feeder, and tipping projectiles.

bessy

Hey guys,

I figured I would post this up here since my google searches yielded nothing

Background: I've been reloading for 5+ years, I have probably 30-50k through my lnl, I'm pretty familiar with the press at this point.

I recently (about a year ago), added a bullet feeder. The feeder it's self works great. Feeds both moly coated, and FMJ's like a boss.

The issue I have is that the after the bullet is fed, it never stays upright between stations. I have to hold the round as soon as it is fed, and lead it to the next station, or itwill topple. I think this is related to my powder through expander. I'd like to hear what you old hands think

It happens for both .40 and .45acp. Here is what I've tried for .45acp.

1. Increasing and decreasing the bell with my powder funnel ptx... seems to topple between over stations with this powder funnel ptx die whatever I do. This die works great for belling, but the round won't stay upright between stations unassisted.

2. I have an old school hornady ptx (from 4+ years ago).. labeled (.451/.452), this thing sucks bad. I can't get it to even expand the case enough to get a round to sit properly when fed. I've tried both gross and fine adjustments no dice. It shaves moly coated projectiles and I can't use it with them at all. When you add to much bell, it basically folds the case over, rather than trumpets it.

3. Apparently before I bought my powder funnel, or when I got my bullet feeder die, I got a PTX labeled .452. This looks like it's setup for .45 long colt. It's much shorter than my .451 PTX... even moving the powder measure all the way down, a .45acp case doesn't engage far enough to get a proper bell.

Has anyone else struggled with this? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys!

Edited by bessy

Had an opportunity to talk to Todd at Hornady.

His input was..

1. The powder funnel doesn't work do hot with your bullet feeder. I need to use their ptx die.

2. The .451/,452 ptx die I have is not going to work it's very old. The new one has a step in it to help with this problem.

3. The .452 PTX I have is indeed for long colt....

I'm going to give their new ptx a shot, and report back.

I hope some one else finds this useful.