Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS-6 For 38 Super?

tcarp1911

Pretty much the same question as my other HS-6 post. Here's what I'm working with-

Pistol-New Colt Government Model 38 Super, bought last year. Sent to Wilson Combat for sights, grip safety, trigger, reliability, etc, after putting some factory ammunition through it and deciding it seemed like a fun project. Basically set up like a carry gun.

Brass-Starline

Bullets-I'll be starting out with Hornady 115 grain XTP. I got them free with the dies and presses, so why not?

Primers-Winchester Small Pistol, can go to Small Rifle if needed.

Powder-HS-6

Anyone point me towards 38 Super loads using HS-6 that are good for using in a stock pistol? I tried the search function for this and didn't find as much as I thought I would. I intend to use the Hornady manual as a starting point, but am wondering what results others have had.

Just looking to make quality "factory" level performance ammunition, and maybe tweak that a little in whatever direction gives the best results on paper, whether by adjusting crimp, COAL, or by generally running heavy or light loads. At the small 3 gun and pistol shoots I go to, much of the shooting is done on steel, and Power Factor is not measured. I started reloading last year to shoot more often. Getting better accuracy is a nice plus. I shot a 4 inch group off hand in 45 and was happy as pie last year from a M&P45. I had loaded the 230 grain 45 bullets to about 825 FPS.

I like HS-6 for several reasons. It's worked very well in 45acp for me. It's listed under 45acp, 9mm, and 38 Super in my Hornady manual. And it fills most of the case when reloading. I purposely double charged a 45acp case once, and it was obvious. I want to say it was full, if not spilling over.

Another reason(and a big one) I'd like to stick with the HS-6 is that it seems like it would be a good powder for shooting cast. Right now there's a 500 round box of 45cal 230 grain and a 500 round box of 38cal 125 grain Laser Cast bullets to start learning cast bullets with sitting at the bench, and I'd like to go to Missouri bullets in bulk after that.

If it turns out to be a horrible powder for 9mm and 38 Super, I'll still shoot up what I have before getting something different, and I'll still likely shoot in in 45.

Edited by tcarp1911