Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG 142 gr 38 caliber bullet

No.343

I'm just getting started with the MG 142s (mainly because Zero seems to have discontinued the 150s I have been using the last couple years) for .38 Short Colt.

The 142s seem to reload as fast as anything I have tried in my 8-shooters, and they're plenty accurate.

I want my .38 Short Colts to reliably make 130+ PF in all my guns, so the load I have settled on is 4.2 grains of N320 at 1.140" OAL. So far so good, but it's still early.....

I'm just getting started with the MG 142s (mainly because Zero seems to have discontinued the 150s I have been using the last couple years) for .38 Short Colt.

The 142s seem to reload as fast as anything I have tried in my 8-shooters, and they're plenty accurate.

I want my .38 Short Colts to reliably make 130+ PF in all my guns, so the load I have settled on is 4.2 grains of N320 at 1.140" OAL. So far so good, but it's still early.....

Same here. I've only fired about 1000 rds with the MG 142, but I think I'm done testing for the moment.

3.3 grains of Tite Group

142 gr Montana Gold JHP

OAL 1.080"

Starline brass

Fed Sm Pistol primers

All charges weighed:

String 1:

Lo 889

Hi 912

Avg 900 (PF 127)

ES 23

SD 8

String 2:

Lo 892

Hi 908

Avg 899 (PF 127)

ES 16

SD 6

It was a warm day. Elevation here is about 4000 above sea level.

I may want to test further in an attempt to increase PF just in case I attend a major match at a lower elevation, etc. But for now and for this area, I'm happy with this load.

I have had good luck with the MG 142's. Of all the short colt loads I have tried the 142's & N310 gave me the best accuracy, but I can't get more than a 126 PF with out pressure issues. They go in easy for reloads on the move, but for a standing reload I struggle with the flat nose hanging up on my cylinder. With that said, I still would recommend that you try some out.