Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well *#$% now I need a replacement Magazine Release Spring

JesseM

I shot my 5.25 XDm in 45 ACP in a match this past sunday. I was having problems releasing mags with the springer precision extended mag release. The mag release works fine just doesn't seem to compliment the geometry of my hand so I was going to put the stock mag release in it.

I pop the pin out holding the whole thing in place being careful not to pull it out too far buy then like a dumb-ass I do just that so now I'm staring at a spring, mag catch wondering how hard it really is to get back in. Turns out very hard.

After an hour or two of cussing like a sailor and making a file mark in a screw driver I discovered I cannot get that spring back in and I have bent it in the process.

So where can I get a replacement magazine release spring for a 45 XDm and a slave pin to hold it in place so I don't bend the new one?

Powder River Precision, Springer Precision, Canyon Creek, maybe even the manufacturer ?

And yeah, I want to replace my mag release spring (I figure it's time...anyone know the recommended replacement interval or # cycles for that spring?), but I heard it was such a terror that I have been cowering in fear. :(

Powder River Precision, Springer Precision, Canyon Creek, maybe even the manufacturer ?

And yeah, I want to replace my mag release spring (I figure it's time...anyone know the recommended replacement interval or # cycles for that spring?), but I heard it was such a terror that I have been cowering in fear. :(

Dude don't do it. Just don't. The only videos I can find on the net are of poor quality. I'd try to make a good one but I do not know if I can get the angle right all by myself, I'd need a camera man.

It's not that hard. I posted how in a previous post in this forum. Get the reduced power from PRP. It makes a differance and I can't see one ever wearing out.

I'll tried searching for your post and didn't find anything Do you have a link? Did you use a slave pin?

Edited by JesseM

I found it but there really isn't a detailed description on how to put it together.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140910&page=2

You took it appart, right? It goes in the same way. Orientate the pieces and slide them into the mag well and hold them close to in place, using a punch smaller than the pin slide it into the hole while putting pressure on the catch and spring until the punch slides thru and captures both. Now carefully retract the punch enough to start the pin and tap the pin in witch will drive out the punch. The choice of curse words is yours, as it might take a couple of attempts your first time.

Forgot to mention one side is eisier to get the pieces started with the punch but I forget witch side. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Edited by mpeltier

I found it but there really isn't a detailed description on how to put it together.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140910&page=2

You took it appart, right? It goes in the same way. Orientate the pieces and slide them into the mag well and hold them close to in place, using a punch smaller than the pin slide it into the hole while putting pressure on the catch and spring until the punch slides thru and captures both. Now carefully retract the punch enough to start the pin and tap the pin in witch will drive out the punch. The choice of curse words is yours, as it might take a couple of attempts your first time.

Forgot to mention one side is eisier to get the pieces started with the punch but I forget witch side. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Very well put!

I was determined to install a reduced power spring in one of my XDm's, and after an hour I figured out how to do it as well.. But, I can not remember which side I inserted the punch in either :blush: