Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titewad, anyone used it?

pskys2

I have done extensive testing with Titewad in 38Spl and 38Super. Great for pansy loads. Pressure is an issue with 38Super as you get close to minor powerfactor. Works best with medium (125gr and 135gr ) projectiles at about 110pf to 120pf. Very accurate but not worth the risk in most guns to try and get to 125pf. Certainly did not work well in short barrels.

Do not use it at all in 9mm. Pressure was really weird. Came up real quick and no where near PF for minor. The tapered case seems to be the issue.

Also works brilliant in 32S&W Long for 90gr Wadcutters. Very small amounts make low velocity and great accuracy.

Way more sensitive to OAL than bullseye, very low powder density, very easy to double charge. I can think of only two powders taht are faster than Titewad, Norma R1 and N310.

The guys at Hodgdon were appaled I even tried it and advised extreme caution. They will not reccommend it and will seriously try and talk you out of it. Designed specifically for 12g 24gram (7/8oz) loads. ISSF Trench particularly.

I have done extensive testing with Titewad in 38Spl and 38Super. Great for pansy loads. Pressure is an issue with 38Super as you get close to minor powerfactor. Works best with medium (125gr and 135gr ) projectiles at about 110pf to 120pf. Very accurate but not worth the risk in most guns to try and get to 125pf. Certainly did not work well in short barrels.

Do not use it at all in 9mm. Pressure was really weird. Came up real quick and no where near PF for minor. The tapered case seems to be the issue.

Also works brilliant in 32S&W Long for 90gr Wadcutters. Very small amounts make low velocity and great accuracy.

Way more sensitive to OAL than bullseye, very low powder density, very easy to double charge. I can think of only two powders taht are faster than Titewad, Norma R1 and N310.

The guys at Hodgdon were appaled I even tried it and advised extreme caution. They will not reccommend it and will seriously try and talk you out of it. Designed specifically for 12g 24gram (7/8oz) loads. ISSF Trench particularly.

Thanks, I saw it was available in several places and wondered about it. On investigating it I saw how fast it was and thought better of it. Have plenty of Clays and a bit of Titegroup left, really would like to score some more Titegroup! If things keep going I'm going to end up using up all of those partial cans I have laying around. Bullseye, Unique, Universal Clays, E3, AA2-5 probably some others I can't recall off hand. Between that and firing up the Casting Furnace, and scrounging wheel weights all that is left is primers.

Sure hope the craze ends soon!

I have 24lbs of TG on order from March this year that has yet to arrive. According to Hodgdon they are not expecting anything out of the factory until the end of the year. I am going to increase my order to 32lbs or even 40lbs to ensure we have enough for 2 years worth of shooting and stay in front that amount. I have essentially run out of TG here and I am switching to Clays for the Action Pistol guns until I can see a way through this. Clays is OK in most applications that TG worked for. I tried TW as an alternate to TG when we had problems about 6 years ago in getting it down here. But quickly decided that it was too fast for my uses.

I did however find a ripper 45ACP load for 185gr Lead Semi-Wadcutters with the Titewad. Can't find the note book right now, but it barely went 750fps and barely kicked, but the gun cycled on a 12lb recoil spring. Nice and accurate even at 50y.

I have 24lbs of TG on order from March this year that has yet to arrive. According to Hodgdon they are not expecting anything out of the factory until the end of the year. I am going to increase my order to 32lbs or even 40lbs to ensure we have enough for 2 years worth of shooting and stay in front that amount. I have essentially run out of TG here and I am switching to Clays for the Action Pistol guns until I can see a way through this. Clays is OK in most applications that TG worked for. I tried TW as an alternate to TG when we had problems about 6 years ago in getting it down here. But quickly decided that it was too fast for my uses.

I did however find a ripper 45ACP load for 185gr Lead Semi-Wadcutters with the Titewad. Can't find the note book right now, but it barely went 750fps and barely kicked, but the gun cycled on a 12lb recoil spring. Nice and accurate even at 50y.

Interesting, so much for the statements that all of the shortages are due to demand. If Hogdon is saying they won't be producing Titegroup out of the factory even.

The shortages are due to demand exceeding supply and current manufacturing capacity. But having to plan production some 9 to 18 months out and having X tons of stock to cover for the normal sales and the wait for production is normal. So when the demand eats stock holding, then people go into panic buy mode, we all miss out badly.

It takes time for production to be brought forward. Can't just ring the factory and say "hey, can ya knock out 200 Tons TG for me by the weekend?".

The maker is flat out making everything they can, it just is not enough right now to get the stock back to normal.

Remember TG is just one of 150 types of ball powder they make in Florida for commercial, military and domestic use. Ammo makers get first grab, we are at the end of the queue.

The problem actually started in 2006 or 2007, even back then we had waits of up to 9 months to get shipments into NZ this is slowly getting worse, now it is 12months minimum pre-ordering required before they get to ship, then we never get all we ordered, same applies to USA distributors, but they are bigger have more customers and when they run short they run short big time.

I have to carry 6 months powder in the shop or off site storage, minimum, to cover customer needs and I am always running short of something I got wrong. I keep two years worth of anything I use lots of at home, TG, 748, 4831, LilGun, Benchmark, N160, US869, RL15, RL17 or H5010 . My shed could go at any time, just as well the neighbours don't know how much is in there. :devil: