Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone making major in 300 BLK from short barrel?

jaredr

shot a rifle match recently where a fellow was running a 20" 300BLK. he mentioned his load was 17 gr of h110 and he indicated that he was making major power with 150gr bullets (didn't get the specific velocity he was achieving with that load).

Keen to see if anyone on the board is making major in 300BLK with short barrels? all of the stages at my local match are short range (less than 50 yards) so the rainbow trajectory of 300BLK wouldn't be an issue. I've got an 8" barrel 300BLK, would be interested in running it in a match but so far, i've been unable to get major power out of that barrel length and I don't think there's any meaningful advantage in shooting 300BLK as minor (sure, .30 hole instead of .223 but IMHO that's not enough of an advantage to make it worthwhile).

My max load for .300BLK supersonic is 16.0 gr H110 and from an 8" barrel, i'm getting an average of 1800fps. at 17 grains i had primers falling out, took that as a darwinian hint to back things off and be satisfied with lower velocities.

is anyone else getting major power out of a 300BLK short-barreled rifle? If so, can you advise your load data? thanks

gratuitous pic of currently uncompetitive but still entertaining 300 blackout SBR. yes, it does shoot better with sights of some kind on top...

IMG_0342.jpg

The only major load that I know of was actually posted under the "rifle" reloading section here.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177064

It uses 1680, which for >150 gr bullets is definitely a better powder. IMO, H110 is a touch too fast for >150 gr bullets, but great below that. Another powder to try would be Lil'gun, I have had good luck with this powder in a wide range of bullet weights. I think it is much easier to make major with slightly heavier bullets based on the power factor equation.

Take this worth a grain of salt, as I have NOT experimented with these loads. I have a 16" 300 BLK, so my data would be of limited use for an SBR anyways. FWIW, I am building a 308 for Major and will be playing around with 110-125 gr loads for recoil reduction there. I will say that I find myself curious about these loads and may try and load up a few...

Good luck and be safe!

thanks for the pointer to the benos thread w/1680 load data. interesting as I've always seen 1680 recommended as the go to powder for heavy bullet subsonic loads but (so far) had not seen load data for supersonic loads (at any bullet weight). I'll give it a try but suspect getting the velocities I need from any powder may be an uphill battle with a very short barrel...

I have a couple of major loads using 168smk and 178 Amaxs from a 16" barrel and they're not over major by much. I haven't chrono'd them out of the sbr, but I really doubt they'd make it. There's no room left in the case for powder, so really no way to go up with 1680. I don't see making it with H110. I couldn't even get close with my 16" barrel and H110.

There is certainly no advantage to running the 300 minor, but subs with a can makes you the cool guy at the match :cheers:

I am making major pretty easy out of my 18" barrel with 20.0gr of 1680 and a 168 grain sierra bullet. I am out of powder though and am desperately in need of more. With a 100 yard zero I am .75 mils low at 200 and 2 mils low at three hundred. I haven't gone out past that yet but I plan to shortly. If I can find more powder that is.

Edited by latech15