Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Priming issue on a SDB

I have an older Square Deal B, and the priming arm no longer picks up a large primer (haven't tried it with small primers) when the press arm is depressed fully. I have to grab the primer arm and give it a tug, and it will pick up a primer every time. I've replaced the plastic tip on the primer magazine, with no improvement.

I called Dillon, and the tech told me that one of the Delrin bushings in the press develops a burr, and that I should remove it with an Xacto knife. I didn't have a burr, but the Delrin was bowed out a bit. I trimmed it, to no effect.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next? Dillon offered to rebuild the press for $67. Is it just time to send it back?

Thanks,

-John

I tool have an older SDB that gave me a few priming problems. From that experience I recommend taking the priming assy apart and carelfully cleaing it as well as the area the primer system attaches/slides.

In addition to adjusting the primer feed adjusting and set screws (13961a and 13961b) mentioned above I would also recommend inspecting the primer punch 13757 small or 13967 lg to ensure it is completely seated in the slide, straight and the set screw tight. Also check verticle dimension from bottom of slide to topof the primer cup to ensure it is within spec 1.410" +/- .003". Any mis-alignment can cause primer feed issues. I discovered on mine that the primer punch stem was slightly loose and slanted. Once corrected it has worked great since.

PN's and primer spec's from Dillon SDB manual see link below.

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-Square-Deal-B-Manual-May-2007.pdf

Good luck and hope this helps.

OG03

If you remove the primer feed from the machine, you will see a ramp inside the shaft that the primer slide roller runs along. At the bottom of this ramp is a white plastic block. The burr extends from the bottom of this ramp over the top of the white plastic block. This block is spring-loaded outward, and is what pushes the primer slide out the last little bit. Use a pocket knife to scrape away this burr until the white plastic block pops out more.