Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? Best seating and crimping die

HotLoad

Starting to load 223 on a 1050 and would like to use a mr bullet feeder and the powder check. I was told that someone makes a bullet seating and crimp die in one. Any ideas? Any draw backs?

Thanks Jeff

There are plenty of companies that make a combo die. I have the RCBS one for .223 and it works fine when set up properly. In general, you probably don't need to crimp your .223 though. Your brass may be dramatically different than mine, but I get adequate resistance to set back without doing any crimping that could affect the jacket.

There are plenty of companies that make a combo die. I have the RCBS one for .223 and it works fine when set up properly. In general, you probably don't need to crimp your .223 though. Your brass may be dramatically different than mine, but I get adequate resistance to set back without doing any crimping that could affect the jacket.

Is this the die http://www.midwayusa.com/product/353847/rcbs-ar-series-taper-crimp-seater-die-223-remington

Does one give up any accuracy using a one stage die to seat and crimp vs using two dies?

Thanks Jeff

I use that RCBS combo die for .38 and .357 and it works fine. I use cannelured bullets for .223 so I do crimp but prefer separate dies. I sometimes use different bullets and have to do some minor adjustments and find it a little easier to adjust with separate dies.

I have both types of dies but prefer using 2 seperate ones..I believe that a single pulling double duty over time will produce more variances ..If your pulling one out every so many and checking OAL and such its easier for ME to make the neccesary adjustment to the single one...just my $.02 worth

I have both types of dies but prefer using 2 seperate ones..I believe that a single pulling double duty over time will produce more variances ..If your pulling one out every so many and checking OAL and such its easier for ME to make the neccesary adjustment to the single one...just my $.02 worth

The original idea was to use a single die in the last station so that i could use the power check and a mr bullet feeder. Gotta make room for one more station. Anyone else running this setup before i make the investment in a new die?

Jeff

/thread drift

i understand this does not address your question about dies that seat/crimp in one station but fwiw, i run as mr. bulletfeeder on a 1050 for loading .223 and do not use a powder check. i visually inspect cartridges as they come around from the powder drop station (using a mirror) but so far, the dillon powder measure has worked without issue.

/thread drift

i understand this does not address your question about dies that seat/crimp in one station but fwiw, i run as mr. bulletfeeder on a 1050 for loading .223 and do not use a powder check. i visually inspect cartridges as they come around from the powder drop station (using a mirror) but so far, the dillon powder measure has worked without issue.

MMMmmmm a mirror never thought of that one. Have to look into that.

Thanks J