Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Time Difference

Smitty79

Most of the time, I see 1 second draw time as the definition of a good start. I assume that this is from hands at side. What is a good time for starting from the "surrender" position? Seems like it should be a tenth or two longer.

Most of the time, I see 1 second draw time as the definition of a good start. I assume that this is from hands at side. What is a good time for starting from the "surrender" position? Seems like it should be a tenth or two longer.

Maybe a tenth longer. It really isn't much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Surrender is slower for me, but that's because I shoot (and practice) more USPSA than SC. Kind of off-topic: a friend of mine and I had a discussion on how important it is to have a super-fast draw time for USPSA. For SC, your draw needs to be spot-on, but in USPSA, it doesn't buy you a whole lot to have a sub-1-second draw when the majority of your activity is done elsewhere. It might be more beneficial to ensure you have a good, firm grip coming out of the holster than to try and come out at 100mph with a sloppy one.

BTW, we were comparing which draw technique was faster--the over-the-top, where from hands at sides, you come up and then down on the gun, or the scoop where you come straight up and draw the gun on the upstroke.