Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Effect of changing spring weights

Nimitz

I have a G34 with a skeltized striker, 4# striker spring, reduced pwr safety plunger spring and reduced pwr trigger spring. I wanted to experiment with changing the springs but can't remember what the effect of changing springs does on a relative basis.

So if I first leave the trigger spring I have in what happens if I put a lighter striker spring in or a heavier one?

NexT, if I put a heavier trigger spring in instead and start changing the striker spring from light to heavy what should happen?

If there's a good discussion of this somewhere that I can save that would be good so I don!t have to keep asking about this ...

You already have the light striker spring installed which reduced your trigger pull approximately 16oz. A heavier striker spring will increase your trigger pull weight. You said you have a reduced power trigger spring but you probably have the 6# spring which reduces the trigger pull approximately 4oz. A lighter than stock trigger spring will give you a lousy trigger pull.

JBP55: thx. I have a 2# and 3# striker spring as well. So as long as I'm not getting light strikes if I put the lighter spring in will trigger pull continue to reduce?

As for the trigger spring I recently had to replace it when it broke and when I called Glockworx to ask what spring was in the drop in trigger kit I bought from them (I think they called it the custom deluxe trigger kit) they told me it was their reduced pwr spring .... Not sure why they told me that since a heavier spring reduces pull weight ...

So in summary, a heavier trigger spring than STD will produce a lighter trigger pull in combination with a lighter striker spring?

Each step lower in the striker spring will lighten the trigger pull, but less reduction with each step. I'm running the Wolff 4lb striker spring, polished internals, LW connector, stock striker, reduced FP safety spring, and stock trigger spring in a Gen 4 G17, 100% with Federal, Win and CCI, but occassional light strikes with Wolf/Tula (Getting a 3 1/4lb pull). Another gun is only a 100% with Federals, same internals. I guess tolerance stacking.

The extra power/heavier trigger spring lightens the pull slightly 1/8 to 1/4 depending on my gun, but I stopped using them. They seem to break more frequently. I've broken two, but never broken a stock spring yet. I stopped worrying about the small reduction in weight and now stick with the stock spring, plus I get them swapped out annually at the Orlando GSSF match.

The heavier trigger spring and lighter striker spring should give the most reduction in trigger pull. I think Glocks will drive you crazy when going too light.

Edited by dee loo

dee loo, thx. I ended up having a good talk with Glockworx today since I needed to replace the slide release locking lever on my gun. They explained that while using the heavy trigger spring with lightened striker spring will reduce pull weight by 1/2# to 3/4# over their reduced weight spring you get a much faster & more positive reset with the reduced power spring.

Like I was planning to do, he recommended just trying different combos of springs until I found what I liked. I've been shooting with the reduced trigger spring for a while so I'm going to try the heavy trigger spring and see if there is a noticeable reduction in trigger pull and what happens to reset ...

As dee loo said the 6# trigger springs do not last as long as the OEM trigger spring. The 2# spring you have is similar to others rated at 4# and the 3# spring you have is similar to others rated at 4.5#. Many Gen 4 Glocks and some Gen 3 Glocks do not have a positive trigger reset when using the 6# trigger spring and 4# striker spring. These two springs were basically balanced from Glock and now your striker spring weight is approximately 73% of the trigger spring weight.

yeah I hear you. I'm pretty happy with the combo as it stands now -- lightened striker spring & reduced pwr trigger spring but I don't have a really defined trigger wall & crisp trigger break. After taking up the pre travel just a little more pressure and the gun goes off. I'm not really complaining but I always hear about the "crisp trigger break" vs a 'mushy one" and am wondering if that's what I have. Unfortunately I've never shot a 2011 type gun which has this type of trigger so I can see the difference. I need to find someone to let me fire a few rounds so I can understand the trigger differences before spending too much time chasing something I don't need to chase.

I will say that the last time I was with Mike Seeklander his comment was " wow, that's a pretty nice trigger you have on the gun" which I guess means I might want to just leave things along ...