Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chroming your Parts

minnesota1

I have a bunch of S & W revolvers and they are about as smooth as I think they are going to be. I think I would like to hard chrome the internal parts so they will be possibly a little smoother and last longer. At a later date, when my ship comes in, I will probably hard chrome all the frames of the guns.

Would hard chroming the internal parts be worth it? Which ones should I hard chrome and which ones shouldn't I? Lastly, who does a good job at hard chroming these parts? I've heard horror stories about bad hard chrome jobs so I would like to have someone do it that has a reputation of doing a good job.

Thank you very much.

Bob

Before I would do Hard Chrome, I would do Robar's NP3. It is an excellent finish that lubricates as well as protects.

As to what parts I would do all internals and springs as well as the yoke barrel for better cylinder spin. If you are going to all this trouble, might as well do the whole gun ;)

My 625 may be headed that way.

Regards,

Can chrome do anything good to a spring?

Not sure about Chrome, but NP3 on a rebound spring reduces friction.

What is NP3 and where do you get it? Also, would it be better than the slide glide that Brian E. offers?

Thanks,

Bob

What is NP3 and where do you get it? Also, would it be better than the slide glide that Brian E. offers?

Thanks,

Bob

NP3 in an applied coating from Robar Guns. Go to their web site and read about it. http://www.robarguns.com/DesktopDefault.as...id=4&tabindex=2

I have had it on parts, magazines, and will next have it on a revolver frame and internals. It isn't cheap, but it works.

Regards,

IIRC, Andy Cannon used to "Hardchrome" the "Internals" on some of the Revo's he built...said it let the "Action Job" last longer before needing work...keep in mind this is in high-round-count COMPETITION Revo's...I'd be curious if "NP3" would have the same benefit(s)-???....mikey357