Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roundabout

velo918

I shoot my rimfire rifle 4-3-1-2. Bear in mind that I'm also a lefty, so that order might be reversed for a righty. In reversing it, I can see how 2-1-3-4 could make sense.

I know that pretty much most people will argue with me on this one, but too much is made out of shooting order when people claim "this is absolutely the best order." I say, pick an order that makes sense to you (as in, you can REASONABLY explain to yourself why you're doing it) and go for it... Here's how I explain my order for Roundabout-- I like to shoot left to right. On my "draw" the 4 plate is up close, so I start there, pop to three, swing all the way to 1 and then push hard straight through to the stop plate. This gives me as fast a draw as I can get, a slightly slower second shot and swing to 1, but then those last three plates are turbo fast.

If you can't reason through your shot order like I just did above (and back it up with recorded times!) then just give your order a bit of consideration before settling into it... and shoot what's best for you rather than the next guy.

Just don't lock yourself into your orders so hard you're unwilling to experiment sometimes to verify that there isn't a better way. For instance, theoretically I should shoot Smoke'n'Hope in the exact same way as Roundabout for the exact same reasons... but it just doesn't work that way for me, I think because I take a completely different sight picture on Smoke'n'Hope. I just shoot S'n'H straight 1-4, and my times are significantly faster when I do it 1-4 vs. 4-3-1-2. I know this, because I sometimes time myself on it with mutliple 4-3-1-2 runs in practice to verify.

Just my $.02

ive always noticed that only the really good shooters can transition across the close targets without any sort of stall or twitch. It can be small but even very good guys I shoot with have a little, simply because its up front and draws your eye. This can lead to all sort of bad things when shooting the far plate because your concentration gets that little shove along with costing you a few 10ths for the stall.

Personally I shot them lots of ways but then took a class with BJ Norris and now use his ways with a marked improvement. He did also explain the other ways the top guys shoot it on a few (2 or 3 stages iirc) and why he does his way on the stage which was good and I liked because it broke down the reasons behind each move.