Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sausage Recipes

Doggorloader

Weather is bad again...no shooting today,40mph+ wind and 37 degrees.

Good weather for sausage making though. Just took out 5 lbs. of my version of "Slim Jim's" out of the smoker and relaced it with 6 (1 1/2 lb) X 3 inch diameter cooked salamis which will be in till late tonite. As they say on the cooking show "Good Eats" are coming. :) Recipe's follow:

"SLIM JIM"S (ingredients are for 10 lbs, adjust for less)

10 lbs ground pork (80% lean at least)

5 1/4 Tbl Salt

2 tsp curing powder #1

3 Tbl powdered dextrose

3 Tbl ground black pepper

1 Tbl ground nutmeg

1 Tbl caraway seeds

1 clove garlic

3 1/2 Tbl corn syrup solids

Add all ingredients to the ground pork and mix until evenly distributed. Stuff in 24-26 mm sausage casings and cut in 6" links. Place on smoker racks and let air dry at room temp. for two hours. Into the smoker at 140 degrees applying dense smoke. After 1 hour raise to 190 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove and cure for 5-7 days on the cardboard trays that like coke comes on at roughly 65 degrees and humidity of about 60%. It's ready when the weight is about 1/2 of green weight.

COOKED SALAMI

6 1/2 lbs. ground chuck

3 1/2 lbs ground pork

1 pint ice water

6 Tbl salt

6 Tbl corn syrup solids

2 Tbl ground black pepper

2 tsp curing powder #1

1 Tbl whole black pepper

2 Tbl ground cardamon

4 large cloves of garlic

2 cups of dry soy protein or non fat dry milk

Mix and distribute well and put in rubbermaid type tub overnite in the refrig. Stuff in casings 2-3 inch in diameter. In to the smoker at 130 degrees for 1 hour After 1 hour apply a light smoke for 30 minutes and hold at 130 degrees for 4-5 hours until the desired color is there. Raise to 165-170 degrees until internal temp is 155 degrees. Remove and shower with cold water and hang at room temp for about another hour. Wrap in white freezer paper and refrigerate overnight.

Again "Good Eats"!

"Slim Jim" (Kabanosy) type dry cured sausages have garlic as a subtle flavor as they are dry cured, not cooked. Massive amounts of garlic would, although good in many situations, would not be a good thing here, trust me.

The garlic in these recipe's is liquidfied in a food processor with a little water and as such is alot more potent anyway.

I have made these for many years and believe me they don't last long!

Tom