Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fantasy Football - Keeper Leagues

The fantasy football league I'm in is changing to a keeper league in 2014. Apparently everyone is excited about this......except me.

Who out there is in a keeper league and likes it, and why?

My view is that one of the reasons you play Fantasy Football ( other than winning a good chunk of money you can the blow on guns ) is that you have the chance to draft the best guy ( in your opinion ) in the league. Once the handful of Studs are gone, if you don't have one, and you're in a keeper league, you are SOL. Sure, things change year to year. One year's Hero is next year's Zero sometimes. But for the most part, the marquee guys are Hero's for a couple of years.

I don't know. The draft is tomorrow night and I would never just up and quit and leave these guys short a man, but I'm trying to figure out if I should at least tell them that I won't be around next year and if they want to try and get a guy before tomorrow night, maybe they should.

Why should I stay in a keeper league...help me out.

Its along term commitment. Taking the long view. More like managing a franchise, over time.

How many will each team get to keep? 1 or 2, is workable..... not everyone keeps studs, they keep best value (if you keep a guy next year you took in round 6 this year, you give up a round 6 pick.... if he happened to outperform this year, he might be a good value - compared to giving up a first round pick to keep a hot or miss player like some top RBs end up being. Would I give up a 1st round pick to keep AP? Yes, unless I was also picking first. Then I could keep someone else and then get him back with pick #1. Would I give up a first round pick to keep McFadden? No way.

Played in a league where everyone got to keep 1 starter per position each year, the draft was all about rookies and scrubs. Did not stay in that league.....

If you have SiriusXM give the Fantasy channel a listen, they talk keeper draft what ifs all the time.

I have been in a league for nine years where we get to keep eight players the first couple of years it is people hanging on to their best players without much movement. As teams draft young players with long term potential you will see more trade activity especially for draft picks in the offseason. If you are in a league with good players who stick around for a while it is more fun than having to draft a whole new team each year and the drafts don't take all day since it is only eight rounds.