Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 - my issues

Solvability

Ok my 930 has started the light strike thing - very small primer indent on some shells - I have ordered the extra strength 10/22 spring and hope this is the last issue to face with this gun - it points and shoots very naturally and loads fast - reliability - that is the issue.

Ok my 930 has started the light strike thing - very small primer indent on some shells - I have ordered the extra strength 10/22 spring and hope this is the last issue to face with this gun - it points and shoots very naturally and loads fast - reliability - that is the issue.

Any idea on how many rounds?

When this one (light strikes) happens seems to be somewhat random from other reports, but any info helps..

I bought the gun used and it would be hard to say ttl - I shot a couple of hundred before it showed up. It does not look like a high mileage gun and the barrel that seems to have catalyzed the problems is very low round count.

I got my extra power 10/22 spring today and installed it - so now I need to burn some more shells and see how it goes.

Edited by Solvability

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know when to declare victory but I feel great about the 930 now - ran 4 matches straight with no issues at all - placing well and keeping up with the big dogs - today was a 2 gun (pistol shotgun) with lots of shells downrange - as good a test as I know of.

Keeping my fingers crossed and the action clean.

I do not know when to declare victory but I feel great about the 930 now - ran 4 matches straight with no issues at all - placing well and keeping up with the big dogs - today was a 2 gun (pistol shotgun) with lots of shells downrange - as good a test as I know of.

Don't you know these things are junk? Everybody says it so you may as well just buy a real shotgun and forget about the JM. Never mind that Jerry Miculek uses this poorly designed gun to beat everybody.

Just kidding, glad to read it's working out for you. Same thing here, boringly reliable now. :)

Don't you know these things are junk? Everybody says it so you may as well just buy a real shotgun and forget about the JM. Never mind that Jerry Miculek uses this poorly designed gun to beat everybody.

Just kidding, glad to read it's working out for you. Same thing here, boringly reliable now. :)

Meanwhile, we've seen more than a few 'problem threads' on VMs, FNs, etc. I've got no doubt that QC across the board (perhaps excepting Benelli, Beretta?) seems to be pretty slack almost across the board, and Mossberg certainly doesn't seem to be at the top in that area, but time will tell...there seems to be more than a few 'issues' that we can resolve ourselves if/as they come up. The (I believe it was) UK shooter posting about going 100k rounds or so was pretty motivational.

It would be great to see a truly ready to go 100% sub-$1k shotgun, but meanwhile, it seems a lot of issues can be resolved ourselves.

I think competition in general requires a hands on approach to firearms problem solving - you can't fix crap but if you have a good design and a fluff and buff will set it right then I can do that - should not have to but factories are using as few humans as possible, the rest is up to us.

Meanwhile, we've seen more than a few 'problem threads' on VMs, FNs, etc. I've got no doubt that QC across the board (perhaps excepting Benelli, Beretta?) seems to be pretty slack almost across the board, and Mossberg certainly doesn't seem to be at the top in that area, but time will tell...there seems to be more than a few 'issues' that we can resolve ourselves if/as they come up. The (I believe it was) UK shooter posting about going 100k rounds or so was pretty motivational.

It would be great to see a truly ready to go 100% sub-$1k shotgun, but meanwhile, it seems a lot of issues can be resolved ourselves.

I think I seen the same gun you've mentioned. I'm sorry I find it hard to believe, the picture I seen looked brand new. I know he said it had been re-blued but even the Mossberg label looked brand new. Maybe it's me, but I like the look of a well used gun. I guess if I had plenty of extra $$$ I'd have a different view but heck the lack of $$$ led me to the JM in the first place. :)

I'm still happy with my choice but I did talk a good friend out of getting the JM and into the VM.

He bought the Sportsman and we're doing the mods and building it up for 3 gun much cheaper than getting the tactical or their latest version.

The VM internals are really slick. Time will tell as we battle it out. :)

I think I seen the same gun you've mentioned. I'm sorry I find it hard to believe, the picture I seen looked brand new. I know he said it had been re-blued but even the Mossberg label looked brand new. Maybe it's me, but I like the look of a well used gun. I guess if I had plenty of extra $$$ I'd have a different view but heck the lack of $$$ led me to the JM in the first place. :)

I'm still happy with my choice but I did talk a good friend out of getting the JM and into the VM.

He bought the Sportsman and we're doing the mods and building it up for 3 gun much cheaper than getting the tactical or their latest version.

The VM internals are really slick. Time will tell as we battle it out. :)

Scratches don't bother me much, and hey, with the finish on the JM, it's a good fit, no? ^_^

If a friend of mine can manage to carve out some weekend time (married w/multiple kids), and make it to a match, I may be in the same spot to have to make a recommendation.

Honestly, not a clue what it would be at this point - the CZ or JM at 'budget,' VM or the new Beretta. It's good to have choices and price points besides Benelli, even if most of us would love to have one. :)

The QC with mossberg is weird. After I picked mine up I informed some friends that they had 2 left and they bought them the next day. I ended up finding out one of theirs broke. He shot 5 slugs and the gas assembly fell apart. Good news was it was only a 2 week turn around for him to get a new gun from Mossberg.

Mine, which came off the same truck, has about 1k through it and minor issues. Only a couple light strikes which has been taken care of now. Can't really complain giving the price we pay for them. I consistently hang with the guys running high end guns, and sometimes they have issues and mine runs perfectly.

Still, maybe next year ill buy a new shotgun and make this a back up. The 1301 has my attention.