Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reclaimed Shot Problems w/ SL900

I cannot get reclaimed shot to work in my SL900. The charge weights are all over the place and I can't seem to find a happy medium. The biggest problem is that the shot occasionally bridges in the feeder tube. The shot backs up then lets loose all over the bench when the shellplate indexes.

I'm using a batch of reclaimed shot I've had around for years, not a batch freshly lubed with graphite. Has anyone had success using reclaimed shot in their SL900?

I've never used anything but new shot in my SL900 so I can't offer much advice but if this shot has been sitting around for years, I wonder if it got damp and may have some surface oxidation and is clumping together?

Spread a handful of shot out on a table and see what it looks like. Discs, triangles, squares? Odd shaped shot is not going to flow nor fit uniformly in the shot bar and drop tube. If you do come up with the odd shapes try to envision how they are going to fly. Probably erratically.

Pat

I have about 2000lbs of reclaimed shot and have been using it quite successfully in my MEC 9000HN (hydraulic) press using an adjustable shot bar.

My shot came from Accurate Lead Recovery when they processed Abilene Clay Sports back in '09. Their website is gone and their number has been disconnected. I think it was bought out or sold... last I checked, the equipment, et al. was at Barksdale AFB's Shotgum Club processing that range, but it has been a while ago now.

ANYWAY... ALR's shot is awesome... It was cleaned, polished, and graphited...
I think the KEY portion for metering is that it be properly graphited... If your shot hasn't been graphited, then it likely won't meter well.

You MIGHT want to consider trying to graphite it yourself... graphite powder is available in quantity... I have no idea what the best way to do it would be... You would want to be able to tumble/coat the shot AND then recover the graphite that didn't adhere to the shot surfaces...

Mine has lots of irregularities, and it doesn't appear to alter metering accuracy much... I can get it pretty close... +/- 1 grain usually... and on a 1oz or 1-1/8 oz charge, that's pretty close.

Edited by cautery