Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Been Using Clays ...What's Better

ShepJim

Running a little behind in my reading...

Clays and 230s are like apple pie and baseball. Don't mess with perfection.

Problem I have with Clays and 230gr LRN is it is very easy to go from barely major PF to flattened primers, at least in my gun. Fabulous combination for minor PF. like steel loads. I still use Clays but will change when I use it up since I need major PF.

231 is good for a broad range of bullet weights and PF, but tends to be a little snappier than the faster powders.

I tried Titegroup before and will return to it when the Clays is used up, but depends on what is available when the time arises.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Clays for several years with great results. I shoot mostly IDPA and have shot many dark stages. I tested Clays against VV N320 in total darkness with plated bullets and a flashlight fully expecting VV to be much cleaner and less smoke based on what I've ben told by many. I found Clays to be every bit as clean and very easy to make a follow up shot with the flashlight. Other powders would create such a cloud of smoke that I couldn't take a quick follow up shot. I use Clays with 45 ACP, 38 Special and .44 Special. I do continue to use VV N320 for 9mm. It's a great powder.

My apologies. I forgot to post my load data. Here it is:

45 ACP

Roger's Better Bullets 200gr SWC Hard Cast Lead: 4.3 grains Clays; 1.250 OAL; Average PF 171

Bayou 200gr SWC Smokeless Bullets: 4.5 grains Clays, 1.250 OAL; Average PF 172

Berry's 200gr Plated SWC Bullets: 4.5 grains Clays, 1.250 OAL; Average PF 170

.38 Special

I only shoot the Bayou 135gr Round Nose: 3.9 grains Clays; 1.510 OAL; Average PF 134.40

.44 Special

Roger's Better Bullets 240gr RNFP Hard Cast Lead; 4.0 grains Clays; 1.450 OAL; Still have to Chrono

I love Clays

Clays is great in 45, but I have had a heck of a time finding it these past few months, but I was able to find some N320, HP38, Titegroup and Clays Universal..

I loaded up 20 of each and headed to the range...here are what my notes were..

Most accurate...N320 and HP38

Least amount of recoil...HP38

Most amount of recoil..Titegroup

Smokes and muzzle flash..Clays Universal

So, I would say that HP38, which Hodgdon has been shipping to dealers, would be the best replacement for Clays...I could not tell much difference between Clays and the HP38, so I was really happy...I only found a pound of N320 in the past 6 months and it was at a small reloading shop in Cle Elum, Washington that I stumbled across last week....they only received 1 pound from Viht and I was lucky enough to go in that day..if you can find some N320, that would be a great replacement also..

Use a 1.250" OAL, Taper Crimp to .370".

I think Clays has been slowed down over the years. Used to get 870 with 4.2. Right now with both BBI and Bayou Coated Bullets I'm using 4.5 to make 870. No pressure signs. Clays has normal temp sensitivity, gets faster as it gets hotter.

Wow, required to shoot lead indoors? Hope they have a kick ass ventilation system.

WST is like Clays with more room to work up (to higher velocities than you can safely get from Clays) and less smoke. Some complain about its reverse temperature sensitivity, but I've not seen that. I only shoot in roughly 50F-90F. Any colder or hotter, and I'll avoid the range unless there's a match I really want to shoot.