Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus PT-38SS in .38 Super

SRT Driver

No punchline. I had a PT-92 many moons ago and it was not bad..it just wasn't a Beretta. They are cheap and run. It would be cool to shoot somthing a little different if it is not a complete piece of junk.

The winds might be switching and if Taurus is making a Super, others might too.

• 1 month later...
No punchline. I had a PT-92 many moons ago and it was not bad..it just wasn't a Beretta. They are cheap and run. It would be cool to shoot somthing a little different if it is not a complete piece of junk.

SRT, curious how your PT-92 fared to high volume shooting. Any parts breaking regularly? I managed to shoot one recently and the first shot felt like I had a squib (9mm ammo previously chronoed at 135PF from a CZ). It was a very sweet shooter.

I played with the display model @ the SHOT Show and wouldn't mind trying one out if the opportunity arose. I started combat shooting with my PT-99. It served me well over many thousands of rounds and when I broke it, Taurus repaired quickly and returned at no charge.

mcoliver,

The PT-92 was a good pistol and it served me well for several thousand rounds. I never kept track of the exact number but nothing failed during the time I had it.

At that time, I shot mostly PPC.. not really high volume. While it was not the optimal tool, it shot better than I could. Then it was sold to buy a Beretta which passed many more rounds through the barrel. It, too, has never failed. Even the locking block is the original. The Beretta comes out from time to time in Production now.

Neither had any really hot 9's through it so I don't know if that would be a factor.

If the Taurus 38 Super feels decent, I'd might buy one to try out since they don't cost an arm and a leg.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a taurus 92 in 1989 while i was in the police academy. i had a gunsmith friend make a two chamber titanium comp for it and thread the barrel. it was as flat as it gets and i put a little over 9k rds. thru it that summer. i had two malfunctions. a failure to fire(bad primer) and one stove pipe. sold it for a glock a year later, needed a smaller carry for off duty.

the moral of the story is i wish i still had it, cause it ran like a sewing machine and was the flattest thing ive shot to date....i run a glock 24 now with 6 popple holes in the barrel and a 3 port comp with four side bleeders and it isnt close to the 92....

i keep hearing that people cant be competative with a taurus or beretta, dont believe it.........................that 38super would be pretty cool!!!

I shot limited for 18 months back in 96 with my PT92 and used it Sunday in production. My x broke the locking block. It has about 25K through it, a lot of +P in its first years. It would have lasted longer if I replaced the recoil spring before many thousand rounds and didn't let her shoot it.

Where did you see they were offering this? I would like to check it out. My friend had a 945 and it worked great.

• 1 month later...

It seems to be built on the 945 frame, which is one of the guns that best fits my hand. I have no need for a .38Super but the .45 has been on my list of "Cool guns to aquire at some point" list for quite some time. Assuming the the ergonomics are similar to the .45 it should be one sweet gun.