Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rl 550B/200 gr. LSWC

Need advice from the lead guys. Just bought 1000 rds of SWC Dardas 200 gr. 45acp BB. 16 hardness. .452 The mfr, suggests to use only Lyman M2 expander/ bullet seating system so as not to shave lead and seat the bullet properly. I love my Dillon dies and thought I could just flip the seating pin to wadcutter from round nose and keep rolling. Matt at Dardas says You will destroy bullet if you shave lead or have the seating pin deform the nose of wadcutter by not seating corectly on ogive sides. Am i just doomed to buy Lyman M2 system and not use my Dillon dies? Help! By the way these lead bullets are beautiful, consistent in weight, nice lubing etc, almost too nice to reload, Hah.

Really haven't tried any yet cus of warning by Matt at Dardas. Just thought that there has to be a lot of guys out there shooting LSWC in 200gr. Hoped to find guys using the Dillon dies reloading these bullets with or without the expense of another toolhead for Lyman 2 stage expander die set-up in their Dillon press.

Got a 550 around '87, it has loaded thousands of 180, 185, and 200 gr lead .45 SWC bullets using dillion dies. I still use that press with the dillon sizer and expander to load .45 with lead SWC bullets.

If you are shaving lead while seating the bullet try lowering the expander a little to create a touch more belling of the case mouth until the shaving goes away. Don't want to over bell the mouth, though.

I'm not really sure what is so different about this particular brand that would require a special die.

Like Steve said, try some and see!

Edited by Bamboo

I've not loaded that particular bullet, but have loaded a few tons of 200gr LSWCs using several different manafacturer's dies without any problems. As previously posted, proper adjustment of the powder die to give the proper flare will prevent any lead shaving. Can't imagine how the Llyman dies could do anything the Dillons couldn't.

I'd load the suckers.

Gandof

I too have loaded a boat load of Pb projectiles with standard dies. Properly adjusted there are no ill effects on my 550 press.

I do use a Lyman M die when loading lead bullets for RIFLE cartridges. For pistol, standard dies work fine for me with lead bullets

Thanks guys for the advice...According to Matt at Dardas the Lyman brand 2 step expander M style puts a small shelf just below the case mouth without really flaring the case creating a near perfect alignment for seating , doesnt shave the lead bullet, and the seater doesn't touch the flat part of the wadcutter... therefore no deformed swc perfectly aligned, no blowback for leading and no crimp on the swc..After all that, I'm going to try my Dillon dies and seater with no real crimp just flare straightening so bullet fits the barrel. I'll let you know how she goes...Thanks again guys!