Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H110 with 240gr LSWC

purecharger

Curious if anyone has experience with the components I gathered:

Hodgdon H110

240gr LSWC from Missouri Bullet Company [Link]

CCI #300 Large Pistol Primer

Hodgdon only publishes a load for 240gr jacketed bullets and I just got this response from their support account:

H110 is a magnum pistol powder and as such does not work well with lead bullets unless they are in the 325 grain plus category and above.

Dave Campbell

Customer Service

Hodgdon Powder Co.

This sounds more like a corporate CYA response than anything. What do you guys think?

I'm not familiar with that specific bullet configuration, but 23.0 to 24.0 grains of H110 is plenty safe and accurate and provides low sd's and good MV from several Ruger SA pistols as well as a S&W Mountain Gun.

Make certain you have a FIRM roll crimp on the bullet when crimping.

I would start at 23.0 for that pistol. My load for a 250 gr. hard cast SWC in my 9 1/2" Ruger SRH (purchased in 1989) is 24.2 grains and is the most accurate revolver load I have ever developed.

I would start at 23.0 for that pistol. My load for a 250 gr. hard cast SWC in my 9 1/2" Ruger SRH (purchased in 1989) is 24.2 grains and is the most accurate revolver load I have ever developed.

Thats what I'll do then! I need to finish 100 rounds of .223 after I pull them (sized wrong) then I'm switching toolheads to .44 magnum and I'll try this load out.

I do have quite a bit of Hodgdon Clays on hand and they do have published loads for that between 4-6gr, have you ever tried Clays?